Sump level fluctuation HELP :(

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the reef keeping hobby on and off for 10 years now. I’ve only ever had AIO tanks but now I have a tank with a sump. It’s been a huge headache so far to say the least but I’ve been able to figure things out.
My issue is with my Tunze ATO going off every few minutes due to the sump level fluctuation where the return pump is located. Is this common? Do I need to place the ato somewhere else? Thanks.

IMG_2523.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is in the return pump area and sump Is running correct you should have no issues. You're sump should not fluctuate at all. Steady level throughout sump and as water evaporates the water level should only go down in the return. Where is your sensor location?

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My level sensor is in my return pump section. As someone else already said, the return pump should be smooth and not cause your water level to fluctuate.

OP
OP
Tahiti

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sensor is in the return pump section. I don’t know why the water level keeps going down in the return pump section and going up higher in the tank randomly. I’ve been trying to dial in the water level. I read that it can take some time to get it right.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it rise high enough that it trips the emergency sensor for the top off?

OP
OP
Tahiti

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it rise high enough that it trips the emergency sensor for the top off?
It doesn’t. In my all in one tank, it worked perfectly. The water level never fluctuated. It’s like it doesn’t know what level it wants to maintain in the sump. I the control valve to raise or lower the water is super sensitive.

OP
OP
Tahiti

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I think I figured it out. It’s the evaporation is just that bad. It has to put water in the tank about every five minutes because that’s how fast it’s evaporating in that return pump area.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What return pump do you have? Is it App controlled/programmable?
The water level in the tank is set by the weir height and the balance between the pump flow rate and drain valve.
The water level in most of the sump is set by the baffles.
The return chamber level is set by the volume of water in the system.
Assuming every part of the system is running at a constant speed/flow then the only variable is evaporation. I would be surprised if this required a top up every 5 minutes or so.
Can other Tunze users Confirm if this is normal?
I only run a gravity ATO and cannot say how often it drips. Is there a way to reduce sensitivity?

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have a Red Sea tank and fleece roller. In my experience with my similar set up between the valve being crap. And the inconsistency of the Reefmat my water level is always changing in my sump area wich throws off my skimmer and ato. Wish I had an answer to help but I have not figured out a good solution yet. I’m thinking of replacing that valve as I hear it gurgle then dump water or stay restricted to the point I hear it trickle. I’ve taken it apart multiple times thinking it needed cleaned but it was fine.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have a Red Sea tank and fleece roller. In my experience with my similar set up between the valve being crap. And the inconsistency of the Reefmat my water level is always changing in my sump...
Good spot. This Reef Mat issue has been mentioned before.
I don't know what the deal is with the valves though. Some have zero problems yet some people need daily adjustment.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding a little more water to the system??

Get rid of that loop in the return line too !

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding a little more water to the system??

Get rid of that loop in the return line too !
I agree with this as well. Even with those problems I stated before you shouldn’t be going through water that fast. Either not enough saltwater in the overall system. Or return is turned up to high. Or your drain isn’t open enough. Sorry so many ORs haha

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I may have figured out my problem. However my tank has been running for a while idk how old your tank is. I recently took my bubble trap sponge out to clean it. It really wasn’t that dirty but have tried everything else. I cleaned it out and put it back in things were good for a bit till my ato dumped again. I did some research and decided to just take it out all together. Tank has leveled of again. It seems to have resolved the fluctuations in my sump and ato. Maybe give that a try.

OP
OP
Tahiti

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I may have figured out my problem. However my tank has been running for a while idk how old your tank is. I recently took my bubble trap sponge out to clean it. It really wasn’t that dirty but have tried everything else. I cleaned it out and put it back in things were good for a bit till my ato dumped again. I did some research and decided to just take it out all together. Tank has leveled of again. It seems to have resolved the fluctuations in my sump and ato. Maybe give that a try.
Thank you! I will try that and let you know if it works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back