Sump Level Too Low When Doing Water Change?

Can My Sump Be Empty With Running Equipment During Water Change?

• Total voters

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your overflow really that low in the tank? From the pictures it sits very low. It is usually situated at the top. Maybe something just looks off.
If you have no other choice, put in check valves. Not the cheap kind, they fail regularly. Get a nice Y check valve and put it on the drains and one on your return. This should stop the overflow of water. Will not help if they fail, but better than nothing.

I use them on my return pump to keep from backflow. Has failed, but my sump can handle it anyway.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 40
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 39

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow return pump and up the hose/piping till gets to your dt and the nozzle that squirts water back in your display.this is what they wanting to see to see how much under water it is

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grab it one hand and pull up with other.them circle things all individual and inside each other.the lower this return nozzle is then the more water will siphon into sump when turn return pump off or a power outage and most have the wave maker facing upwards to create more gas exchange. Its not 100% essential but ot helps get more dissolved oxygen into the water but your choice.
Skimmers are good for gas exchange also

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So personally, and I mean take anything I say with a grain of salt.... I would
this one?
yes, get the end close to the surface. When you're done I would shut the returns down and be ready to plug it back in quick, but watch the sump. if you get that to the surface I'm willing to bet the sump will handle it then

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of warning though i once had my return nozzle facing upwards and drained some water out of display tank during water change and then added clean saltwater to sump and turned return pump back on and boom bish bash bosh saltwater flying halfway across living room ha ha.
I laugh now but wasnt funny at time pfft.
I have now got return nozzle high enough in tank but not directly facing upwards so of lid off tank it squirts out of tank but i mainly do water changes in and out my sump now anyway.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back