sump management

Sean C.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am new to this site. Very happy I have found it! There is a lot a great information. Wish I had been on this about 10 years ago when I started. Would've avoided a lot of heartache, headache and expense.
Last Mother's Day, I suffered a tank crash and lost nearly everything except for a couple of small shrimp which were tough enough to withstand Armageddon.
I cleaned up the mess and the tank circulated empty for 3-1/2 months. I am now starting to get back into it. Things are going well so far. I have added a hospital tank. I know there is a lot of conversation about that recently on the site. I believe that the addition of a sick fish to an already stressed aquarium is what led to the crash. Hopefully the hospital tank will help avoid that. My goal is to have a reef tank with a significant fish presence (tangs, large angels).
I would like to know what people think about strategies for managing a sump. I have a 240 gallon tank built into the wall of my bar downstairs. There is a 90 gallon sump underneath it. A water flows from the tank into the first chamber contains a protein skimmer, then on to the main chamber which could be used for macro algae and finally its returned to the tank. I don't have any macro algae in there now. I've never been able to keep it well and it always seems to die off. Perhaps that is a symptom of the deeper problem? I do have 2 kessil A80 lights turned to blue spectrum on 24/7. The bottom of my stump is covered with a proximally 2 inches thick stand. It has been there undisturbed for 10 years. I am wondering if I should agitate this and? Should I vacuum it? Should I leave it alone? Should I remove it? Should I add algae to the sump? What about live rock?

Thank you for your time and any feedback that might help me manage my system better.

Sincerely,
Sean

1568982312622.png

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand in the sump is not something most people do. It becomes a phosphate sink ( check the water from under the sand after it clears) I would remove it. Live rock is OK but will tend to collect things in the water too.
IF you decide to do macro in the sump have a way to prevent it from getting into the return pump. Blue light is the wrong color for macros they like it red.

OP
OP
S

Sean C.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand in the sump is not something most people do. It becomes a phosphate sink ( check the water from under the sand after it clears) I would remove it. Live rock is OK but will tend to collect things in the water too.
IF you decide to do macro in the sump have a way to prevent it from getting into the return pump. Blue light is the wrong color for macros they like it red.
Everything you said makes sense. What should I put in the sump? Does it make sense to cover the bottom with anything?
Do you recommend the Macro? What kind? Where to get it? I will trash the sand this weekend and switch the spectrum on the lights. I appreciate your reply.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what led the the tank crash? Did the fish get sick? Did you have corals? Did they all die? What are your water parameters now?

I want to know what issues you may have had so moving forward you will get the best advice regarding what to do with your sump.

OP
OP
S

Sean C.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what led the the tank crash? Did the fish get sick? Did you have corals? Did they all die? What are your water parameters now?

I want to know what issues you may have had so moving forward you will get the best advice regarding what to do with your sump.
The crash was the result of a lot of things- deferred water changes (my dad was dying and I was out of town a lot in addition to work/home/kids/ being crazy) and maintenance schedule and I added an angelfish that got ick. didn't seem apparent when I bought it but was very sick with it in about 4 days. Then everything else started getting sick. As the fish died it seemed that a stressed tank just spiraled out of control.
Obviously, neglecting the system has its problems and I need to fix those. Life has slowed down so I think I am on track for that part of it.
The sump was having some hair algae as well as some slime looking algae (it might have been red but I'm really colorblind and not sure. Thank you, Hanna for making some digital testers- the color coded one are impossible for me). Didn't see anything like that in the display tank.
Since I have given the tank a rest (3.5 months) and done some water changes, the hair algae and slime is gone.
pH is running 8.4. I had old test kits and new ones are coming today so I will have more data tonight if I can get my wife to read the tests for me on nitrates while I check the other reef parameters. Sorry I don't have more data available.
I guess the question is do most people run sand in the sump refugium? If so, what is done to maintain it?

Thank you for your reply.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would take out sand into bucket. Put miracle mud or comparable about an inch or two deep. Take some of the sand you took out, rinse with tank water and put about an inch on top of mud.
Fill sump and let settle before turning on return pump. Covering the bed with plastic or something before filling helps.
If you have nutrients and a decent light put macro in there. Try more than one type. Recommend grape caluerpra and cheato. See which one takes over

Back