Sump markings

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some ways you can mark the inside of a polyethylene sump that wont put anything bad into the water when saltwater fills above this ie if pumps go off? I would like to clearly mark the water line.

Ideas?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a sticky note on the outside of my sump while I was setting the tank up.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a sticky note on the outside of my sump while I was setting the tank up.
I think being submerged in water when I do maintenance and turn off pumps will cause it to wither away. Any more permanent ideas?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The idea would be to put it on the outside so it's not submerged. I use brightly colored electrical tape on the outside.

You could just get a plastic rod and notch it, if you want to put something in the sump?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a permanent marker to mark the waterline. No chemical reaction with the saltwater will happen. Remove some water from the sump, dry the area and mark it. Done.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a permanent marker to mark the waterline. No chemical reaction with the saltwater will happen. Remove some water from the sump, dry the area and mark it. Let it dry for a few minutes. Done.

On clear sumps, same or use tape, a label maker.....etc.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is not clear therefore I cannot put on outside. I said "inside" in my original post.

Permanent marker such as a "sharpie" will work. I have water level increments marked in the inside of my brute water mixing containers now for years. No issues.

You could make a vertical external water level tube. It would require drilling the sump for small bulkheads. Once the sump has the inside threaded bulkheads installed, using threaded 90 degree barbed fittings for each bulkheads and attaching a length of clear vinyl tubing between them. This way the water level would be visible from the outside of the sump.

I've done this before and it works very well.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Permanent marker such as a "sharpie" will work. I have water level increments marked in the inside of my brute water mixing containers now for years. No issues.

You could make a vertical external water level tube. It would require drilling the sump for small bulkheads. Once the sump has the inside threaded bulkheads installed, using threaded 90 degree barbed fittings for each bulkheads and attaching a length of clear vinyl tubing between them. This way the water level would be visible from the outside of the sump.

I've done this before and it works very well.
Cool idea, do you happen to have any pictures of your old set up with this external tube?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea, do you happen to have any pictures of your old set up with this external tube?

No, unfortunately. last time I did something like this was for a ATO top off reservoir made from a salt bucket I do have a picture of that!

IMG_20200830_130845445.jpg

IMG_20200830_130909606.jpg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.5%
Back