Sump Media and Skimmer Ideas

RMD_4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

I am currently setting up a 30 gallon frag tank with a 20-25 gallon sump. I am looking for a little advice for media in the system. I plan to mainly have zoas and mushrooms in this system. The display tank will consist of eggcrates and a bare bottom. The sump has two filter socks and a designated refugium chamber that will be utilized. Where I am having a little trouble is in the chamber for a skimmer. I have thought about running a small skimmer for two or so days a week to aid with a little clean up from the few fish I plan to have in it. I know softies like a little bit dirtier water, so I only planned to run it at select times as needed. Also, I am not sure what kind of media I should run for essential bacteria and enzymes to form with it not having sand or rock in the display. Should I run with live rock in the sump or something like bioballs or marine pure blocks? Or if there is something else you recommend, I am open to different options!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO the small skimmer is not a bad idea. Rocks in the sump are as well.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back