Sump Plumbing

Babyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, looking for a bit of feedback on plumbing a new sump.

Is there any reason these sweep elbows (both, from out of the weir and into the sump) are a bad idea?

I wanted to add a union for eventual maintenance and the sweeps seems to add a better flow, at least to me...

20211203_140204.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any problem with that. If in the future you ever want to go with hard plumbing, you can get that same curve with what are called 45° “street elbows.” But you look good for now, so congratulations and I hope you have a lot of fun enjoying your tank. :)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give us more photos as you go. (“Build thread”?) Are you in Orange County Fla., or Cal? If you are in Orange County Fla., you are in LFS heaven! Lol.

OP
OP
Babyback

Babyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any problem with that. If in the future you ever want to go with hard plumbing, you can get that same curve with what are called 45° “street elbows.” But you look good for now, so congratulations and I hope you have a lot of fun enjoying your tank. :)

Great, thanks for the speedy reply! I like the idea of hard plumbing, just want top make sure I have the flow down first.

OP
OP
Babyback

Babyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That and you do not want the weight of the pipes filled with water putting pressure on the bulkheads.

Saving images for a proper build thread at some point, but thought I'd share some minor progress on securing the flex pipe.

For now, paracord will do. Eventually I'd like to add nylon webbing/straps.

20211209_173531~2.jpg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saving images for a proper build thread at some point, but thought I'd share some minor progress on securing the flex pipe.

For now, paracord will do. Eventually I'd like to add nylon webbing/straps.

20211209_173531~2.jpg
If you can, get some hanger as far left as possible. The less weight pulling down on the bulkheads the better.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back