Sump question

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the size of the return chamber matter? I have a 20l sump with baffles and want enough room for a skimmer and eventually a refugium when it’s time. With this layout the return chamber would be about 5” wide. Still enough room for my hand to fit for maintenance. Is that too small and should go bigger or it doesn’t matter?

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see what other people say, but if the return chamber is not so small that your pump touches the side walls and makes vibration noise, I’d think you’d be OK.

OP
OP
N

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see what other people say, but if the return chamber is not so small that your pump touches the side walls and makes vibration noise, I’d think you’d be OK.
First tank so I’m not sure but wouldn’t see why not. And is not touching the walls, could fit fingers in between and pull it out for maintenance

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just remember that the smaller the return section the quicker you'll have to top off, that's where you're going to see the evaporation. That's a good thing because your levels will be more stable. It's also a bad thing because that tends to be the section that fills up if the power goes out so you have to make sure it can handle the extra water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back