Sump question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kraig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kraig

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 24, 2021
Messages
546
Reaction score
1,642
Location
St. Louis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about functionality of a sump I'm considering building.

I have an existing 20 gallon long with a baffle kit. It crowds the underside of my tank a bit from end to end. I have room front to back so I'm wanting to come up with something shorter and wider, which the attached image is.

I don't want to redo my plumbing, so in order to do that the drain pipes would have to go where I have them shown on the attached sketch. That drain area ends up being fairly big for what it is because of the current configuration.

Will having the drain area that large cause any issues such as excess nutrient build up before flowing into the filter sock area? I'm thinking it will be fine because of the high flow draining into the sump in that area, but don't really know. My only experience with a sump is my current one.

I'm not even sure I'm going to end up doing this, and I could easily end up changing the current configuration but the overall length (25") and width (16") will have to stay about the same, as well as the current location of the existing drain pipes.

I also have to figure out the logistics of having a brace around the top and making that work with drain pipes, socks, skimmer etc.

I
Sumpdiagram.JPG
 
What is your goal with this modifications?

If it’s live food for the tank, I would remobe the filters and protein skimmer, add live rock and call it a cryptic refugium.
 
What is your goal with this modifications?

If it’s live food for the tank, I would remobe the filters and protein skimmer, add live rock and call it a cryptic refugium.
The only goal is to change the dimensions of my existing sump. The one I have is longer than I would like and limits my ability to get into the control panel area. This basic size would give me an extra 5" which would make getting into the control box much easier. I currently have about 2" and I have to move my ATO reservoir out of the way when I have to access anything.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new