Sump questions for a coral reef tank

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the sump - my sump measures 12 inches by 12 inches by 48 inches, basically a 30 gal tank which I originally had set up as a wet dry. but now I want to focus on a coral reef tank so I am in the process of changing it. currently the water flows from the 200 gal tank in to 2 large filter socks and then gets pumped back in to the main tank.

Here are some of my questions, concerns and ideas.

1) Should I put live rock in my 30 gal sump to help filter my 200 gal reef only tank?

2) I would think that debris would get trapped under the live rock in the sump which would increase nitrates and phosphates causing harm to the corals ?

3) also If I add live rock to my sump for the purpose of adding pods, and wont the pods get killed when they get sucked in to the return pump ? or if the pods get sucked in to the protein skimmer ?

4) should I add a protein skimmer in the sump? because Long ago I was advised not to use a protein skimmer with corals because the corals eat that stuff which is being skimmed off ?

5) I plan to add a space in the sump for chaeto, the chaeto will be located in an open plastic container in very close proximicity to the (2) filter socks.

Basically I see the sump working like this, water enters via the filter socks and in to the chaeto plastic container, the water then over flows this container and on to the live rock in the bottom of the sump, the water will then be pumped back in to the reef tank with the remaining water in the sump getting re-circulated through the protein skimmer also located in the sump. There is also an auto top off in the sump.

I want to be a serious coral reef keeper and set up my tank the best way, I know just enough to get me in to trouble, so I am basically guessing at all this. so any comments, concerns, and other ideas are truly welcome.

Ferdy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the sump - my sump measures 12 inches by 12 inches by 48 inches, basically a 30 gal tank which I originally had set up as a wet dry. but now I want to focus on a coral reef tank so I am in the process of changing it. currently the water flows from the 200 gal tank in to 2 large filter socks and then gets pumped back in to the main tank.

1) Should I put live rock in my 30 gal sump to help filter my 200 gal reef only tank?
In my opinion, no don't put live rock into your sump when you use this in your main tank. Keep your sump as clean as possible. Make sure you have more then enough alternating current in your tank so debris won't pollute your bottom. Use a powerfilter on the main return pump to keep the water crystal clear.

2) I would think that debris would get trapped under the live rock in the sump which would increase nitrates and phosphates causing harm to the corals ?
See the answer above.

3) also If I add live rock to my sump for the purpose of adding pods, and wont the pods get killed when they get sucked in to the return pump ? or if the pods get sucked in to the protein skimmer ?
They won't, but use the rock in the main display.

4) should I add a protein skimmer in the sump? because Long ago I was advised not to use a protein skimmer with corals because the corals eat that stuff which is being skimmed off ?
A good skimmer, is imo necessary to get a thriving reef. Together with the earlier mentioned powerfilter. I see you have a lot of questions because you gathered a whole lot of information. If I may do a suggestion, look for a proven method and go for this method. A couple of methods are:
- Berlin method (probably the most common way of reefing, and the easiest. But not where you get most control)
- DSR method (this is the method that I will be using in the new tank, for Europe easy to get, overseas it comes with higher shipping costs)
- Triton method
- Zeovit method
- Red Sea Reef Care method

Well, we can probably continue with naming methods and products, a whole lot are commercial methods. Pick one that you think is the way to go and that fits the time and effort you want to put in your tank. Stick with this and you will find a way that works for you and your tank.

5) I plan to add a space in the sump for chaeto, the chaeto will be located in an open plastic container in very close proximicity to the (2) filter socks.
Depends on the method if you ask me! I'm not a fan of filter socks, if you want a good filtration use a powerfilter as mentioned earlier. You only have to change the cotton every 2-5 days and just throw this away instead of cleaning those darn stinky filter socks every time..

Basically I see the sump working like this, water enters via the filter socks and in to the chaeto plastic container, the water then over flows this container and on to the live rock in the bottom of the sump, the water will then be pumped back in to the reef tank with the remaining water in the sump getting re-circulated through the protein skimmer also located in the sump. There is also an auto top off in the sump.

I want to be a serious coral reef keeper and set up my tank the best way, I know just enough to get me in to trouble, so I am basically guessing at all this. so any comments, concerns, and other ideas are truly welcome.

If you have the dedication, then you will be a serious reef keeper! I put some answers in blue above. :D

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want to keep pods, a refugium is best. Your sump should be set up correctly with different sections with each one having it’s own dedicated use. The pods would live in the refugium in the macro algae. The skimmer would be housed in a different section and won’t bother the pods.

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good morning. First off the 30 gal tank you want to use as a sump for a 200g display tank is undersized. But to answer your questions....

1. If you want to use the 30 gal tank then definitely do not put LR in the sump. All this will do is waste valuable real estate for skimmers, filter socks, return pumps etc.

2. Your filter socks need to be the first thing that your over flow box goes through. That's your 1st form of mechanical filtration. If you put it at the end it really isn't doing you much good.

3. Pods will be fine through return pump. Skimmer will skim some out but normally you want your pods to be grown after the skimmer. Another reason to circle back to a much larger sump then 30 gal.

4. Who ever told you not to use a skimmer really isn't giving you good advice. Skimmers filter out organic proteins. This is a must for clean water. Waves that crash on a beach is the oceans protein skimmer. In water skimmer or out of water skimmer is personal preference but there are alot of pros and cons to both. We will save that for another post.

5. Adding cheeto to the sump in my opinion with this application will not do you much of anything. It might help filter out some phosphates and nitrates but honestly you are going to have too much turn over in such a small return. If you want to keep the small sump then it is a must to do a separate refugium. This is where your pods will live. And once again filter socks are first then skimmer then cheeto then return pump if you want to do everything in the 30.

6. You want to make an ato chamber as well in the sump? Now you really need to go larger if that's what you want to do. You won't have nearly enough floor space to do all of that and it be effective.

If you want to do an ALL IN ONE sump we can easily start from scratch and make you a great sump layout. We Would need to know the room inside your stand and we make it awesome. Also let's talk about your lighting for the sump and for your display tank. I bring this up because they need to be discussed for good refugium growth.

OP
OP
Kevin Finocchiaro

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep pods, a refugium is best. Your sump should be set up correctly with different sections with each one having it’s own dedicated use. The pods would live in the refugium in the macro algae. The skimmer would be housed in a different section and won’t bother the pods.
Thank you for the information it is much appriciated

OP
OP
Kevin Finocchiaro

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. First off the 30 gal tank you want to use as a sump for a 200g display tank is undersized. But to answer your questions....

1. If you want to use the 30 gal tank then definitely do not put LR in the sump. All this will do is waste valuable real estate for skimmers, filter socks, return pumps etc.

2. Your filter socks need to be the first thing that your over flow box goes through. That's your 1st form of mechanical filtration. If you put it at the end it really isn't doing you much good.

3. Pods will be fine through return pump. Skimmer will skim some out but normally you want your pods to be grown after the skimmer. Another reason to circle back to a much larger sump then 30 gal.

4. Who ever told you not to use a skimmer really isn't giving you good advice. Skimmers filter out organic proteins. This is a must for clean water. Waves that crash on a beach is the oceans protein skimmer. In water skimmer or out of water skimmer is personal preference but there are alot of pros and cons to both. We will save that for another post.

5. Adding cheeto to the sump in my opinion with this application will not do you much of anything. It might help filter out some phosphates and nitrates but honestly you are going to have too much turn over in such a small return. If you want to keep the small sump then it is a must to do a separate refugium. This is where your pods will live. And once again filter socks are first then skimmer then cheeto then return pump if you want to do everything in the 30.

6. You want to make an ato chamber as well in the sump? Now you really need to go larger if that's what you want to do. You won't have nearly enough floor space to do all of that and it be effective.

If you want to do an ALL IN ONE sump we can easily start from scratch and make you a great sump layout. We Would need to know the room inside your stand and we make it awesome. Also let's talk about your lighting for the sump and for your display tank. I bring this up because they need to be discussed for good refugium growth.

OP
OP
Kevin Finocchiaro

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I made a mistake the aquarium that I am using as a sump is a 50 gallon and not 30 gallon, it measures 48 long 12 wide and 20 high. I no longer plan on adding LR in the sump based on everyone's suggestions.

2) currently after water leaves the show tank via the hang on over flow skimmer it enters the 2 filter socks ( which are two eshopps Micron Bag Holder PF-LG large) both are hanging on the side of the sump and the first thing in the sump. The water is then pumped back in to the show tank (eflux dc flow pump 3,170 gph which is controlled via Orbit ic led lighting and wave pumps LOOP system) . However, I will add the protein skimmer back into the sump and use a separate pump which I need to find one to match the skimmers 3/8 inch threading. (the protein skimmer I have is an Oceanic systems plus series model 6, which has 3/8 inch female threads ).

6) also there is a constant level of 6 inches of water in the sump, so at 5.5 inches (approximately 1/2 inch evaporation) the ato automatically turns on to fill the sump back to the 6 inch level (I am using the SpectraPure ultra precise auto top off system w/ 10 pump speed and 10 duty cycle settings)

I would like more information on a sump layout with the focus on keeping a coral reef easily and with easy automation. My show tank is 200 gallons which measures 2' x 2' x 7'. I would need to take down the tank completely in order to in stall a new sump, which im not excited about doing but I want to be successful, my tank was set up in 2012 and still has fish in it from 2012 along with some recent livestock.

I don't know what size sump I would need for a successful 200 gallon coral tank or what other equipment I would need for the sump. The inside stand measurements are 17 inches wide x 77 inches long which is tight, but then taking in to account the room needed for loop electrical controller and room to work around the sump, the sump could be a maximum 16" wide x 53" long or any size smaller.

I would also consider using an exterior sump which is not inside the stand in necessary and use the 50 gal tank that is already inside the stand for another purpose, again that tank measures 48 inches long x 12 inches wide x 20 inches high.

My tank show tank lighting is the dual 72 inch orbit ic led lighting LOOP system. so what would you recommend for the sump lighting ?

also at my disposal i have (2) 55 gallon tanks, (2) 10 gallon tanks (1) 20 gallon tank and (1) 50 gallon tank. one of the 10 gallon tanks im using to grow pods, and one of the 55 gallon tanks im aging live rock, the other 10 gal tank im considering using it as a quarenteen tank.

OP
OP
Kevin Finocchiaro

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to need a MUCH bigger sump than a 30gal.
Thanks for your information and nice tank.

I was wrong it wasn't a 30 gallon but instead i am using a 50 gallon aquarium as my sump. I know very little on the sump requirement for a successful 200 gallon coral reef tank so I am trying to avoid mistakes and moving toward the best way to set it up. My sump was originally set up as a wet dry for fish, so now I need to convert it for the coral reef needs.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back