Sump recommendation for redsea Max 650-S (150gallon display)

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a V1 650S and the sump design is garbage.
I can fit 38" x 18" in the stand for a new sump. I dont mind socks but I like the option of floss. I saw some sumps have both options.
Currently I just have 2 heaters, skimmer, 7" sock shoved over the drain pipes because there is no mechanical filtration on this sump and the return pump. I like the idea of a refugium chamber and currently I dont have a dosing setup but I like the setup for it for future.

Any recommendations?

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the Lifereef recommendation. I installed one on my setup 6 months ago and could not be happier versus the sumps I had planned.

They are expensive

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont run anything fancy in my sump. It would be a horrendous waste for me to get one of those. Im actually looking at ways to mod my current sump with new panels and such.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your floss across the front middle panel?
You still running the original skimmer?
I'm running a BM D9/Curve 9 in the centre section, just had to cut out one side of the shelf mount glass out & it fits there.
Return i use Jebao DCP 10000 sitting at the bottom of that front mid section.
I don't care for socks anyway but your right it is a garbage design

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have media bags sitting on the egg crate on that front middle area right before the pump area. My skimmer is in the large area on the left because it wont fit in the area right behind the media bag area with that little glass wall in there. Its pointless to have it in there. Ill take a picture when I get home later to explain.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have media bags sitting on the egg crate on that front middle area right before the pump area. My skimmer is in the large area on the left because it wont fit in the area right behind the media bag area with that little glass wall in there. Its pointless to have it in there. Ill take a picture when I get home later to explain.

Yip i understand what your saying , 90% of the water is bypassing the skimmer with it over there.
Maybe try a temp panel put at the back of the front mid chamber would force the water over into that left section more?

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Im seeing if I can remove that pointless wall in the center tonight with a razor blade.

The original setup was there was a shelf there that the rs skimmer sat on is why its there.
Good luck with the slicing,think i looked at that before also but can't remember what the verdict was.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back