Sump Refugium Update

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I didn’t feel like working yesterday, I spent my hours of cleaning my refugium sump. Because I don’t feel like working today....
I’m trying to figure out ways to improve my refugium sump...

Noticing that there’s algae built up in my skimmer and my filter sock holders.
I currently have the Kisseil H380 LED Algae light turning on for about 7 hours (reduced it because it was covered with microalgae after adding a mini clean up crew inside).

1. Should I attempt to attach black acrylic sheets to all the sides of the refugium?
2. Wave Maker necessary for the macroalgae to grow?
3. Should I add a strip of aquamesh (black extra coarse) where the water goes from the refugium area to the skimmer? Have some hair algae inside the refugium and scared it might get onto the display tank. (Red line)
4. Do you guys ever change out the Marinepure blocks? Some of them are just covered in green hair algae and dead chaeto that looks like worms that I really don't want to attempt to clean it.....
5. I think the one I left is cheato.. (PLEASE tell me if I am wrong..) also do you guys add more than one type of macroalgae or just use one type..
6.. Any other recommendations are appreciated!

Thank you for reading this thread and if you don't feel like working today like me... help a girl out to be "productive".... :D
unnamed.jpg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
answers in the same order:

1) Yes - its due to light spillage. any kind of shading to prevent light from going outside of the fuge chamber will help
2) does help but probably not to the extent you expect - "tumbling" does help with growth but a lot of reefers had success growth of chaeto w/o it, esp of the natural waterflow thru the fuge chamber is sufficient.
3) you can - but that just means more things to clean - in all honesty GHA "seeds" will get into your DT one way or another. what'll prevent them from getting out of control in your DT will be more a function of how well your fuge is pulling out excess NO3/Po4, and how well your control your nutrient, rather than adding an extra mesh on the fuge.
4) sry can't help you there, never used those blocks
5) Does look like chaeto. I used just one, but really the point of a refugium is just to make algae grow in there and not in your DT - eventually mine filled with all kinds, GHA, film, etc.. basically turning into an algae scrubber/chaeto reactor combo. So i woudlnt worry too much on just having 1 vs many. Some also use caleurpa (sp?) b/c they generally grow faster than Chaeto but i was always too afraid of it going sexual and mess up my tank.
6) hows the sand treating you? i had sand in fuge but eventually got rid of it b/c it was so difficult to siphon and clean b/c my fuge was on the floor so the lack of pressure difference to the bucket made it very difficult to siphon.

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thank you so much for the great response!
there’s a bit of sand here and there but I think the previous owner maybe tried the sand method and then switched over to marine pure blocks? I have some live rocks and lots of marine pure blocks from what I can see...

now I’m looking into how to cut acrylic sheets so I can... cut a black piece to block the growth light....

Seems like being into aquarium stuff means.. you need to buy a lot of stuff hahahah

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s a bit of sand here and there but I think the previous owner maybe tried the sand method and then switched over to marine pure blocks? I have some live rocks and lots of marine pure blocks from what I can see...

now I’m looking into how to cut acrylic sheets so I can... cut a black piece to block the growth light....

Seems like being into aquarium stuff means.. you need to buy a lot of stuff hahahah
That's one of the perks for me why I love the hobby, it's a trial and error type plus if there's anything i can do that is DIY i'm all over it. Not bc i'm cheap its just the satisfaction of "i made that myself and it works" lol.

To your question about cutting acrylics, depends how thick it is, you can use the plexiglass cutter from HD or lowes. Less than 5 bucks and its called "plastic sheet cutting tool". I used it and works well for me. If it's thick you can use dremel with the cutoff wheel or if you have jigsaw you can get a 14 TPI jigsaw blades specifically for acrylic.

I agree with you that being in this hobby you do buy a lot of stuff but it has its own rewards and satisfactions. Some stuff you don't need to go all out for but its your own preferences like for me I recently got Apex EL and i'm learning about it more as I go plus I learned how to hook up both of my marsaqua lighting with my apex and actually dim it down and brighten it when I set it too without being home. Love the Apex! Possibility are endless with those haha

Hope I answered your question, this group is my go to if I need to search up any questions, tips, or advice

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Start slow and be patient. Too many times do new reefers stumble bc they try to too much too fast. Ask questions and do your own research. Its a learning process and even the trial and errors are rewarding on their own. Its about the journey, not the destination

Gl, lmk if you have more questions.

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slow and be patient. Too many times do new reefers stumble bc they try to too much too fast. Ask questions and do your own research. Its a learning process and even the trial and errors are rewarding on their own. Its about the journey, not the destination

Gl, lmk if you have more questions.
Can't agree with you more. The satisfaction of going from frustration to finally see the reef tank thrive and survive is rewarding on its own. Patient is the number 1 key in my book, failures/issues are inevitable just have to be patient and battle on through them.

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys!!!

for acrylic sheets, I’m reading that you should only read Chemcast acrylic...
just wondering if I can use any type of black acrylic since it’s not to hold water weight but to block out the growth light?
Just ordered some copepods to refill from algaebarn.. one day I hope to get clean chaeto from them.. to restart..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back