Sump return line turning green

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
So, I'm about a week in running my sump. My return line is clear vinyl tubing and I noticed it is turning green. The DT water is clear. 1st chamber of the sump is filter socks and heater. 2nd chamber is UV sterilizer, protein skimmer, HOB refugium with chaeto and seachem de-nitrate, all turned off to try to raise the nitrates (@2.5ppm now). Last chamber is return pump and in/out lines to an external canister filter that has Matrix and Chemi-pure.

Any idea why the return line is green?
The display water is crystal clear.
20210411_201854.jpg
Also, the skimmate in the protein skimmer is green as well, but was more brown when it was hanging on the back of the DT

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check to see if the line itself has tinted green, most likely it is just algae that has rubbed off on the line. If it is not the line then it is something in your water.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a thin algae film.
Ignore until you can't see thru it.

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
Yeah, it was probably a dumb question.
However, I guess I don't quite understand algae and how it is getting through all that filtration/sterilization and then being able to "latch on" to the inside of the tubing with 800+ GPH of water flowing through it.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
Yeah, it was probably a dumb question.
However, I guess I don't quite understand algae and how it is getting through all that filtration/sterilization and then being able to "latch on" to the inside of the tubing with 800+ GPH of water flowing through it.
O it will absolutely grow there, thats why people don't typically use "clear" returns or plumbing lines. Anywhere light can get algae will grow. Thats why I keep my sump dark as possible so it looks new for years with little maintenance. Light=organic growth

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O it will absolutely grow there, thats why people don't typically use "clear" returns or plumbing lines. Anywhere light can get algae will grow. Thats why I keep my sump dark as possible so it looks new for years with little maintenance. Light=organic growth
Wrap some tape or cardboard or something around it for a few days( keep the light out) it will die back

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get some algae in my lines occasionally because they’re clear too. I just use a 5foot long hose/pipe brush from Amazon to scrub my lines out with once in a while.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back