Sump room placement?

If you had the option, would you locate your sump room behind the DT, or, in a basement?

• Total voters

JackDanielsFTW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my wife and I are in the beginning stages of designing our forever home to be custom built. One thing we know we want is a large DT, somewhere in the 180-360 gallon range. Of course, the final determination of the size of the tank will be based somewhat on the available space for the tank. But, as we begin designing floor plan layouts to consider for our build, we had a discussion on the best location for a sump room. Since this will be our first large aquarium, we'd like to get opinions from the masses.

If you were in our shoes and had the choice, would you build a sump/equipment room on the main living floor in a room behind the DT, or, place it in a basement below the tank? Assume a basement will be dug out anyway, so there's no additional cost from that aspect.

Thank you in advance for all of your great thoughts and opinions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Closest to the tank is always best

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im in florida, we cant have basements here. but i don't know how people manage it with sump in basement and tank next floor. i can just see so much inconvenience here. since you asked, if i where in your shoes, i would definitely plan to have sump in a fish room by display tank, and not under the tank. and remember, the more you cramp into space, the more inconvenient it will be to get access for maintenance later.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back