Sump size

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Getting new tank soon and need to buy few things. One of them is sump. My tank is going to be 48/30/26 which takes me to 160 gallons.
Definitely want a sump with refugium space. How big of the sump do i need? Is there a rule for it?
Any preferred brands? Don’t want to spend huge amounts of money.

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Getting new tank soon and need to buy few things. One of them is sump. My tank is going to be 48/30/26 which takes me to 160 gallons.
Definitely want a sump with refugium space. How big of the sump do i need? Is there a rule for it?
I've always heard that 25% or more of the tank is the recommended size for a sump and the display tanks at my LFS have 25%+ sumps for their bigger systems. My 30B tiny tank has a 10-gallon sump and it runs fine. If you are worried about the financial aspect you can always DIY a sump with some glass baffles or use an Aqueon tank and get a sump kit, which is what I did for my 10-gallon sump.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the better. Some folks have sumps as big as the tank or even bigger. If your sump will go into the cabinet, then you are limited by cabinet size, so put the biggest that you can and still be able to maneuver inside the cabinet. But if your sump is going into the basement for example, then there is no limit. But big is not necessary. Even a 5 gallon sump will do, if the main purpose is just to hide the equipment.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get one as big as space allows, cheap aqueon tank and one of the Fiji cube diy sump kits is probably the most cost effective.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx all for replying! Sump is going to be inside of cabinet.
I think i will go with 35-45 gallons one from Tenecor or Basheee

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are on sale. Actually ordered it from Saltwater website. Can’t wait to have it here. Hopefully it will be big enough to work with my new tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back