Sump Spitting Air Bubbles Every Morning

ericwithac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning!

I have a R100 Sump and it seems like every morning, my pump is spitting out bubbles. Yesterday I added more water and today I just adjusted the baffle between the Skimmer Compartment and the Return Compartment.

Why is this happening everyday? I know for a fact my buddy who has the R200 on his 100gal doesnt have this issue.

I understand that some water will evap, but this is getting annoying.

Thanks
E

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a simple fix. Keep the water level higher than intake of the pump. An auto top off certainly can help.

OP
OP
E

ericwithac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yea...I mean thats obvious. But he doesnt have an auto-top off and doesn't have this problem...I have been looking at auto top offs, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Thanks

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered if I had a leak when I first set my tank up. It’s a 40g tank with a good size sump and during the summer I was going through over a gallon a day in top off water. I still haven’t set up an ato. Think I will do that before summer.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yea...I mean thats obvious. But he doesnt have an auto-top off and doesn't have this problem...I have been looking at auto top offs, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Thanks

Evaporation rates differ for each tank. Mostly due to the environment they are in. If you are evaporating to the point that the return pump is sucking air, the solutions are still simple. Either increase water volume and bring the water line up to compensate or top off more often.

I don't understand where the question/confusion is.

DFR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATO will definitely simplify your problem. I think we have all been in your similar predicament and are happier for pulling the trigger.
As previously stated there are a number of things that affect the evaporation rate. The humidity of the home, covering of the system, and air flow rate are probably the larger contributing factors. The easiest way to cut back on evaporation would be to get a lid for your tank if design permits. Only problem is that this will reduce light penetration as condensation will form, and a white haze will eventually cover the lid.

OP
OP
E

ericwithac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATO will definitely simplify your problem. I think we have all been in your similar predicament and are happier for pulling the trigger.
As previously stated there are a number of things that affect the evaporation rate. The humidity of the home, covering of the system, and air flow rate are probably the larger contributing factors. The easiest way to cut back on evaporation would be to get a lid for your tank if design permits. Only problem is that this will reduce light penetration as condensation will form, and a white haze will eventually cover the lid.

I do have a lid, although the back isnt fully covered. I know I can get those plastic inserts to cover the rest. Maybe that is what I will end up doing. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the ATO though! Thanks!

DFR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o_OYes, it may be time. I still run through about 5 gallons a week, but now I only have to worry about filling up my ATO container once a week instead of adding to the sump every other day. Do you have a specific ATO in mind?

OP
OP
E

ericwithac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o_OYes, it may be time. I still run through about 5 gallons a week, but now I only have to worry about filling up my ATO container once a week instead of adding to the sump every other day. Do you have a specific ATO in mind?
I like that the Eshopps has the output on the bottom of the ATO tank. Ive seen the Bashsea, Triggers and Bio Tech Marine, but I don't see the output on the tank anywhere. Does that mean I would have to run a line out of the top?

DFR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you’ll need to place the pump inside those ATO containers. The eshopps container you are explaining will need to be mounted above the sump as it is gravity fed and instead of the pump will use a float switch.

OP
OP
E

ericwithac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you’ll need to place the pump inside those ATO containers. The eshopps container you are explaining will need to be mounted above the sump as it is gravity fed and instead of the pump will use a float switch.
I have the R100 Sump so the float switch is already installed. I think the best thing to do is go with the Eshopps. I have a shelf above my tank that it could easily rest on. Thanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back