Sump update switching from socks to roller filter

richarddeweerd

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2020
Messages
203
Reaction score
349
Location
The Netherlands
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering removing my filter socks and switch to a roller filter. The issue is that the compartment of the filter socks is too small for a roller filter. I will have to remove some baffles to accommodate this.

This is my current setup. I've drawn it in schematic view with all the compartments in logical order, and a top view where you can see how they are actually layed out.

sump.png


If i remove the rims in the filter compartment i can fit it there, but it will cause that the water in compartment 1 is not refreshed. Therefor i would like to merge compartments 1 and 2 by removing baffle A. It creates a bit more space and I get rid of the stale water.

But should I stop there, can I also remove baffles B and C? It basically creates a simpeler sump with only 2 compartments . But there for it gives more room for the equipment.
 
Other than the replacement costs for fleece roll, this is a good transition
 
I'm considering removing my filter socks and switch to a roller filter. The issue is that the compartment of the filter socks is too small for a roller filter. I will have to remove some baffles to accommodate this.

This is my current setup. I've drawn it in schematic view with all the compartments in logical order, and a top view where you can see how they are actually layed out.

sump.png


If i remove the rims in the filter compartment i can fit it there, but it will cause that the water in compartment 1 is not refreshed. Therefor i would like to merge compartments 1 and 2 by removing baffle A. It creates a bit more space and I get rid of the stale water.

But should I stop there, can I also remove baffles B and C? It basically creates a simpeler sump with only 2 compartments . But there for it gives more room for the equipment.
I had the same issue with my sump - and only discovered it after I cut out the filter sock holders :(

I put the roller filter into your chamber 3, and circumvented the no flow in chamber 1&2 by piping the output from the media reactor back into there so there is still slow flow. My emergency overflow still goes into chamber one, but that has never been used in anger.

Not pretty, but removing the sump to remove baffles was not possible as there is a brace blocking its removal.

One day (LOL) I'll reclaim the wasted space, probably when I upgrade the tank.
 
Last edited:
yes, highly prefer open sump designs unless you need your filter roller and skimmer to operate at different specific water heights.
 
reefmat.jpg
Took me a while but I finally bought and installed a Red Sea Reefmat 1200. In the end I removed almost all the internal baffles. I now have just 2 compartments left. 1 for the reefmat heater and skimmer and 1 for the return pumps
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new