Sump, UV, and reactor flow questions:

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it isn't the ideal setup but its what I am working with at the moment. I am using a Vectra S2 pump to move water through my UV sterilizer. The pump draws water out of the second chamber of the sump and water exits the UV into the fourth chamber (where my return pumps are located). My carbon/GFO reactor draws water from the third chamber of the sump and water exits the reactor into the fourth chamber.
I am moving approximately 1200 GPH through the sump. The Vectra S2 (UV pump) is moving approximately 650GPH. Basically, 650 GPH is bypassing the carbon/GFO reactor. I feel this may be reducing the effectiveness of the the carbon/GFO. I still have 600+ GPH flowing through the third chamber of the sump, where the reactor pump is located.
Here is my question. Would there be a benefit to reducing the flow of the UV pump by half during the day when the algae and bacteria are attached to the rockwork and sand and return it to the 650 GPH in the evening while the algae and bacteria are free floating? Would reducing the flow of the UV allow more/better contact through the reactors??

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends what your trying to kill with uv and how much wattage it is. But for dinos, higher flow is better (based on bulb wattage)

OP
OP
S

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends what your trying to kill with uv and how much wattage it is. But for dinos, higher flow is better (based on bulb wattage)
I have the Pentair Smart 40w UV. Im not in the ideal range for killing bacteria and algae (943 to 1574 GPH), but that is my goal. At 650 +/- GPH through the UV (i know its below the desired flow range) half the water is flowing through the sump is bypassing the carbon and GFO reactors. I was thinking if I reduced the flow through the UV during the day it would allow for more/better contact time with the media inside the reactors. Then at night bump the flow through the UV back up. Thoughts??

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must do it that way its fine, but i wouldn't play with the flow of your uv to compensate for decreased media flow. Uv is more valuable than those medias imo. Id get a dedicated pump for that uv. With my 90 watt uv i run my return pump in it. Its about 900gph after head loss. Works great.

OP
OP
S

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must do it that way its fine, but i wouldn't play with the flow of your uv to compensate for decreased media flow. Uv is more valuable than those medias imo. Id get a dedicated pump for that uv. With my 90 watt uv i run my return pump in it. Its about 900gph after head loss. Works great.
The UV and reactors have their own pumps. I got the flow numbers for the UV from the Neptune flow meter. I think that figures in 90 degree fittings and head loss. The UV pump is running at about 60%. I could increase the flow through the UV but I wander if that much water bypassing the reactors and heater would have a negative impact on the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back