Sump virgin with questions (sump plumbing)

DrexHillJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 180 that's pre-drilled for a sump, no plumbing attached. I've been researching on the interwebs and most good articles come from this site, so I'll look here for help. My new tank has two corner overflow boxes, each with two holes. One is 1-inch, one is 1 3/4. I've figured out the first part, the drain, I think. The second part is what to do with the two returns. I've read some stuff that says two returns is overkill. So here's my question(s): Should I have two returns or one? If two, should I get a pump with dual output? The article against two returns argued that plumbing two returns from one pump reduced the efficiency. Thanks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with one, and if you want a second add it. The second pump provides redundancy if one decides not to spin. The benefit for one pump with 2 returns is additional circulation from 2 points vs one. Of course you get a little less from 2 off one pump but I think you are over thinking it. One or two is fine, especially if you are going to have other wavemakers or whatever making water movement in the DT. GL

OP
OP
D

DrexHillJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with one, and if you want a second add it. The second pump provides redundancy if one decides not to spin. The benefit for one pump with 2 returns is additional circulation from 2 points vs one. Of course you get a little less from 2 off one pump but I think you are over thinking it. One or two is fine, especially if you are going to have other wavemakers or whatever making water movement in the DT. GL
Thanks. I probably am overthinking it. I'm trying to figure out whether to plug the fourth hole before I fill the tank. Either way would be easily reversed, I guess.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you’d regret having two return pumps unless budget is a serious issue. The redundancy is nice to have, and I personally like the idea of fresh filtered water entering the tank from more than one location.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've always believed in buying quality equipment and I have never had a return pump just fail.
I've had some seem to get weaker over time which usually meant changing out the impeller.
I've switched pumps because of noise, but never had one stop working.
So my vote is using just one.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having two return pumps for redundancy and maintenance.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back