Sump water level help

Detroit_aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm new to saltwater, first aquarium with a sump. Im curious as to which chamber I am supposed to be measuring my water level? Its the waterbox 220.6 and their recommended water level is 10". Idk if I should be measuring 10" in the skimmer chamber? The return pump chamber? The refugium chamber? I'm lost, please help!

Thanks!

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm new to saltwater, first aquarium with a sump. Im curious as to which chamber I am supposed to be measuring my water level? Its the waterbox 220.6 and their recommended water level is 10". Idk if I should be measuring 10" in the skimmer chamber? The return pump chamber? The refugium chamber? I'm lost, please help!

Thanks!
I'm not sure about the waterbox, but generally the return pump chamber will level will change with evaporation (it's where you normally put the Auto Top Off level controller). I'd guess it's the skimmer chamber, but normally the skimmer manufacturer will have a range (like 8-10") where the skimmer is happiest.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer sets your water levels. Your evap will happen in your return chamber

OP
OP
Detroit_aqua

Detroit_aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you guys are saying that if my skimmer prefers an 8" water level, then I should adjust the sump water level to that which accommodates that?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
well to help what i can im thinking return chamber as your skimmer will have to find its level n you may need a stand for it n once your return chamber is 10 in. it should b that across the board.R

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well that was crappy answer I gave. You should have baffles which will set your water levels in each chamber. The return pump section will be where your water level fluctuates & where evap will happen. Your skimmer has it's own water level requirement so you'll have to build a stand if it's too deep. I'd follow the water box instructions.

Sorry I glanced over the question & misunderstood. Here's a pic I found

IMG_1240.jpg

OP
OP
Detroit_aqua

Detroit_aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was crappy answer I gave. You should have baffles which will set your water levels in each chamber. The return pump section will be where your water level fluctuates & where evap will happen. Your skimmer has it's own water level requirement so you'll have to build a stand if it's too deep. I'd follow the water box instructions.

IMG_1240.jpg
So my 10" water level should be in the return pump chamber then. Any idea what happens if i run the water level lower than recommended? If the system is running fine, whats the downside between less system volume. Thanks!!

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 10" water level should be in the return pump chamber then. Any idea what happens if i run the water level lower than recommended? If the system is running fine, whats the downside between less system volume. Thanks!!

Yeah that should be the only area where it will change. I would imagine running it lower would cause a vortex going into your pump suction, but if it doesn't I dont see the harm. Usually you want to maximize your water volume.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, Nope, Nope... The 10" should be in the skimmer chamber!! As was stated the return pump chamber will change due to evap and that's where your ATO sensor and hose should be. If you do 10" in return pump water will be too deep for skimmer.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1240.jpg
awesome reply n thank you for correcting my misleading answer.last sump i really had i adjusted by adding ir subtracting waterlolR

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back