Sump with double return

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am planning build a bigger tank, and my question is concerning the sump layout. Can you folks take a quick glance at the drawing and let me know your opinion?

Attachments

• Sump 270.pdf
    72.5 KB · Views: 106

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks OK to me. I had a friend who had a big system and used 4 or 5 medium sized pumps rather than one big one. That way if one failed, it didn't take down the entire system.

OP
OP
A

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ron, I wasn’t sure about the first baffle with the shelf for the media right before the skimmer.

OP
OP
A

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, by mistake I send the wrong drawing over the phone. Please take a look at this one instead.

Attachments

• Sump 285 L .pdf
    81.8 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
A

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks OK to me. I had a friend who had a big system and used 4 or 5 medium sized pumps rather than one big one. That way if one failed, it didn't take down the entire system.
That sounds kinda crazy to use up to 5 pumps. I wonder how he does that. My tought wad rather using 2 separe pumps, each running independently via its own pipe. The olny conern I had, was the first wall right after the drop section. I am not sure if the water preasure wont blow off the meadia located on the small shelf between the drop section and the skimmer.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds kinda crazy to use up to 5 pumps. I wonder how he does that. My tought wad rather using 2 separe pumps, each running independently via its own pipe. The olny conern I had, was the first wall right after the drop section. I am not sure if the water preasure wont blow off the meadia located on the small shelf between the drop section and the skimmer.
He used one as a return to the DT, one as a feed to the skimmer, one to the GFO & carbon reactors, one to a separate refugium...

If the drawing were in english it would be easier to understand. ;)

OP
OP
A

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I just recently placed the order and it should be ready within 3 weeks or so. I decided to go with the main tank made of black silicone anyway. Having experience with transparent silicone and crazy algae over growing, I figured that it’s way better looking solid black rather then staring at green-brownish silicone.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back