sun-drying rocks that came from the ocean

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long do i need to sun dry them to completely eliminate ich and other diseases. im completely aware some hitch hikers might be able to survive but my main concerin is ich and other diseases.
im not able to bleach them due to its too big to house in a container with bleach

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long do i need to sun dry them to completely eliminate ich and other diseases. im completely aware some hitch hikers might be able to survive but my main concerin is ich and other diseases.
im not able to bleach them due to its too big to house in a container with bleach
Hard to quantify. Ich dies when completely dry for 24 hours. Since some rock is so dense, telling when it is completely dry in all the nooks and crevices will be the challenge.

Since you are completely killing off the rock anyway, you might consider a bleach bath and then drying before beginning a cycle with a bacteria product.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to quantify. Ich dies when completely dry for 24 hours. Since some rock is so dense, telling when it is completely dry in all the nooks and crevices will be the challenge.

Since you are completely killing off the rock anyway, you might consider a bleach bath and then drying before beginning a cycle with a bacteria product.
my situation is this.
ive asked someone to scape the rock for me. so i just put it in a container and put bleach.
after 2 days i take it out. and its like the cement joining the rocks weakens. this has already happened twice.
thats why im thinking the bleach weakens the cement or something.
is 7 days of sun drying enough? to kill parasites?

Solis Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Do you have fish in the tank?
2 if this a new tank you need to sicle the tank for around 4 weeks if you do that with out fish you will brake the sicle of the ick.
The tank will be ick free after 30 days been with out fish. I hope this was able to help make your decision.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 if this a new tank you need to sicle the tank for around 4 weeks if you do that with out fish you will brake the sicle of the ick.
The tank will be ick free after 30 days been with out fish. I hope this was able to help make your decision.
im pretty sure its 72 days. but thanks

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 days to be ich free if fishes. 45 being the minimum of ignoring the stain that may take longer to hatch.

Good point on cycle. If done fishless it can be considered quarantined for ich if done for the appropriate time.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my situation is this.
ive asked someone to scape the rock for me. so i just put it in a container and put bleach.
after 2 days i take it out. and its like the cement joining the rocks weakens. this has already happened twice.
thats why im thinking the bleach weakens the cement or something.
is 7 days of sun drying enough? to kill parasites?
If you have already bleached once you are good. Let it dry fully and if needed, apply some epoxy (liquid/gel 2 part epoxy works well) to strengthen the weakened connections.

Solis Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 days to be ich free if fishes. 45 being the minimum of ignoring the stain that may take longer to hatch.

Good point on cycle. If done fishless it can be considered quarantined for ich if done for the appropriate time.
That’s what I was thinking I might be wrong on the days I’m sorry about that I have to look into that.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back