Sun sun canister filter on Biocube 14

rodrigo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0923.JPG

Thoughts on using a canister filter and how i have it set up? I am using a canister filter since I don't have the funds or space for a sump but still wanted to increase my water volume. In the 1st chamber, I have my protein skimmer. In the 2nd chamber I have the intake for the canister filter and macro algae (I removed my media basket). In the 3rd chamber, I have the return for the canister filter. The filter has one filter pad, lava rock, carbon and purigen.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared for the backlash from the canister filter, "nitrate factory," haters out there :p

I like canister filters, as I've always said it's about how you use them and I've had a lot of luck with them in the past. How they are setup, maintained and managed is essential. Canister filters do not produce nitrates, period. They trap and hold nitrates, which is the point, and its your job as a hobbyist to remove them; no different than running filter socks in a sump.

Sounds like you have a decent setup. How old is your system? Are you using any biological media at all?

OP
OP
rodrigo123

rodrigo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared for the backlash from the canister filter, "nitrate factory," haters out there :p

I like canister filters, as I've always said it's about how you use them and I've had a lot of luck with them in the past. How they are setup, maintained and managed is essential. Canister filters do not produce nitrates, period. They trap and hold nitrates, which is the point, and its your job as a hobbyist to remove them; no different than running filter socks in a sump.

Sounds like you have a decent setup. How old is your system? Are you using any biological media at all?

My system is 3 months old and I'm using lava rock as my biological media in the canister filter.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a fluval canister and love it. My parameters are perfect and stable. I clean mine every week when I do a water change. I run pond matrix in the baskets after the sponges. It also is good for other media if you need it at times.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back