OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. How do you like the filter roller mat?
i am up in the air on it. it was a pain to assemble and is a bit of a challenge to re-floss when it runs out. I have a trigger fleece roller on my large tank, which is easier to use. I also, manually advance the roller daily (manually as in push the button)... I don't know if it just doesnt advance well on its own, of if I didnt setup the float correctly. I havent had time to chase that down. I still prefer it to filter socks so that is something,

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the detailed feedback.
you're welcome... I am liking it less as (as others have said), it unscrews itself and stop working altogether without intervention. I don't think it's a great roller mat... that said... it fits the spot and is still way better than filter socks!

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. bought the new RedSea doser4, 3d printed off a bottle holder and downed 4 x 800ml bottles of Voss. so far so good!

Attachments

• Doser.jpg
    Doser.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The family was complaining about the light bleeding all over the room so I 3d printed off a couple of light shades as well.

Attachments

• light shade.jpg
    light shade.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 53

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to build a new 32G mostly coral tank so that my current 250G can be a mostly fish tank as the fish I have are getting larger and there are a few not-reef-safe guys I want to buy. I decided a while back I like roller mats (and dislike changing filter socks - that said, if you do still use filter socks (as I do on one tank), I highly recommend "Reef Diaper's"... disposable is the way to go) - but I digress. I have a trigger roller mat on my large tank which works well. I really liked the look of the Fiji Cube sump and when I saw they came out with a roller mat that fit, I decided to give it a try. So I bought the 20g sump. I already had a Fiji Cube 10G AIO and a 22G EXT (plumbed to a reef diaper / Trigger sump), so I decided to go with the 32G EXT from Fiji. I couldn't find a stand I liked (or a price I liked) - so I decided to build my own. The journey began...
If mostly corals do you really want a roller mat?
I'm considering removing my roller and going back to a sock. Much easier to clean a sock than replace a roll. Just my thought

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had sock filters for so long.. I moved to the reef diaper which is way better... but I still would rather monkey once every 2 months with a roller mat than every other day with sock filters.. (i hate them,,,, ugh ) :)

Ottoson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow I really like your set up! It's similar to mine, do you think its worth it to invest in a filter roller? I'm considering that or the disposable filter socks.

1692047614577.png
1692047683998.png

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow I really like your set up! It's similar to mine, do you think its worth it to invest in a filter roller? I'm considering that or the disposable filter socks.

1692047614577.png
1692047683998.png
thank you! I and I think it's personal preference. the fleece rollers are more expensive. for years I used filer socks but only changed them after they would overflow... i would have a pile of dirty ones and spend too much time trying to hose them sort of clean... I would wash in the washing machine, but then you also have fish smell in the same tub our clothes go in. I moved to the reef diapers as soon as i saw them on Amazon - they are basically a fleece roller in sock form. but I still prefer the roller.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do about the light situation? I have the same tank and it’s dumb how difficult lighting it is due to the center overflow. I mounted mine on the back wall of the overflow. Fijicube said it was fine.

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do about the light situation? I have the same tank and it’s dumb how difficult lighting it is due to the center overflow. I mounted mine on the back wall of the overflow. Fijicube said it was fine.
if you look a few posts up you'll see (pic) i ended up getting 2 lights :). originally i thought maybe i'd go with high light corals on one side and low light on the other... but i needed symmetry!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back