48 Fiji Cube

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I finally got my new Fiji Cube 48 gal Ext tank. After some headaches from missing pieces and a few trips to the hardware store I was able get the stand setup and my plumping underway. I’m running dual return pumps; one going straight to the tank and one that goes to a UV sterilizer. Still a long way to go but check out the progress so far. The ATO is the Neptune systems.
IMG_4111.jpeg
IMG_4112.jpeg
IMG_4113.jpeg

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting project. Looks like you are off to a good start.

What kind of environment you planning on building, lots of softies? SPS?

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting project. Looks like you are off to a good start.

What kind of environment you planning on building, lots of softies? SPS?
It will be a mixed reef dominated by softies and LPS. I plan to add some SPS further down the road once the tank has matured further.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have completed my leak testing and everything is running well now. Ran into a few leaks all due to unions not fully tightened. Got them tightened and this has been running for about an hour with no leaks.

Next steps will be to drain and then add into the rock work and sand. Hopefully should have some pictures of that later today.
IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0021.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the rock and sand in Friday and then filled it up. I had to add an additional bag of sand on Saturday due to the flow blowing sand away and causing a bare spot but I was able to keep the bed below 1inch. I did a 20% water change to help clear out the water on Sunday.

I started adding frozen mysis shrimp on Sunday with one cube, one on Monday, and one today to kick off the ammonia spike. I tested for ammonia but it’s still reading zero… wondering if I could go ahead and add in the Fritz-zyme turbo start or if I should wait until I get an ammonia reading?? Any thoughts?

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to go with two AI prime 16 leds for the tank to minimize shadowing and hopefully be able to provide sufficient par for a mixed reef tank. Since the tank is still cycling I normally don’t have the lights on but I turn them on occasionally to enjoy the tank. Still need to figure out light settings…. I think it’s a little too blue. Water is a little cloudy from a recent large water change.
IMG_4145.jpeg
IMG_4146.jpeg

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks way better when the water is not cloudy so I had to post another picture. I have some copper coming in on Tuesday to begin quarantine - I plan on using the 80/20 method from BRStv… hopefully will be able to go by the fish store Tuesday/Wednesday and pick up a pair of clownfish I’ve been eyeing. Maybe by the end of September I’ll have some fish in this beauty.
IMG_4148.jpeg

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bottle of copper power in yesterday so I went to the lfs after work to pick up these 2 Picasso clownfish - I think they are very complimentary to each other. I‘m following the BRS 80/20 method so they are going to be there for the next 2 weeks with 100% water changes every few days. The water is a bit yellow due to the nitrofurazone.

The tank has been cycling well - at 3 weeks tomorrow. I continue to phantom feed the tank to keep the cycle going. I also added galaxypods and have been feeding them oceanmagik everyday. Once I add the fish to the tank I plan to add some clean chaeto and get a refugium going. Can’t wait to get this tank going!

IMG_4157.png

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bottle of copper power in yesterday so I went to the lfs after work to pick up these 2 Picasso clownfish - I think they are very complimentary to each other. I‘m following the BRS 80/20 method so they are going to be there for the next 2 weeks with 100% water changes every few days. The water is a bit yellow due to the nitrofurazone.

The tank has been cycling well - at 3 weeks tomorrow. I continue to phantom feed the tank to keep the cycle going. I also added galaxypods and have been feeding them oceanmagik everyday. Once I add the fish to the tank I plan to add some clean chaeto and get a refugium going. Can’t wait to get this tank going!

IMG_4157.png
Picasso clowns have always been some of my favorite clown fish!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man! I like your setup.
Out of all the fiji cubes, this is by far the best one in my opinion.

Are those 1/2" returns? If so, how is the flow? I have 1/2" on my system too with an octo varios 4 pump.
And I'm using those random flow generator nozzles. If I get 400-500gph through the returns, I'll be happy.

I'm like freaking out waiting for my replacement tank man...frustrating. The first one arrived broken.
Can't do anything without it.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man! I like your setup.
Out of all the fiji cubes, this is by far the best one in my opinion.

Are those 1/2" returns? If so, how is the flow? I have 1/2" on my system too with an octo varios 4 pump.
And I'm using those random flow generator nozzles. If I get 400-500gph through the returns, I'll be happy.

I'm like freaking out waiting for my replacement tank man...frustrating. The first one arrived broken.
Can't do anything without it.
Thank you man! Still need to figure out the wire management and where I want to mount everything... that may be a minute

They are 1/2” returns…. I don’t know the exact gph I’m getting but I have two pumps.. the one going to the uv sterilizer is a syncra silent rated up to 357 gph. I have its slightly shut to increase contact time. My other pump is a syncra silent rated up to 714 gph and have a ball valve in my plumbing that is slight shut. I can feel a noticeable difference between the 357 and 714 so depending on the pump (or pumps), you should have no problem hitting your target imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright got a good update today. First off I ordered the Red Sea customizable net cover and I’m a big fan of the look. Make sure to watch the YouTube video so you can get tips for an easy install. My miter saw made cutting to length a piece of cake. Lost my box cutter, but once I find that I plan to go back and cut the netting a little bit cleaner.
IMG_4179.jpeg

After two weeks with a clean QT I have moved the clownfish to the DT. I slowly acclimated them to the DT water then dipped them in two buckets to help reduce cross contamination. They’ve been pretty shy but are slowly beginning to explore the tank. I added them last night did a 10 gal water change and plan to do one everyday for a few days and then move back to weekly water changes.
IMG_4178.jpeg

It’s hard to tell with the blue lights but the ugly phase has started… when looking very closely you can see tiny amounts of green hair algae and some brown algae (I think). I used some elbow grease and brushed some off the rock earlier this week.. it’s not bad but I want to keep it to a minimum sooo…
IMG_4183.jpeg

I got a 4 pack of eco pods, some oceanmagik to feed them, pink and purple coralline algae in a bottle and a par meter (gotta start planning for corals). I went ahead and dosed the eco pods and some oceanmagik but I’m going to hold off on the coralline algae for a few more days… I want to check the par levels before I dose as I’m running the lights at 25% to keep algae growth low. I plan on testing for alkalinity and calcium before I add the coralline algae to ensure it has all it needs. Algaebarn recommends dosing 2 part alkalinity and calcium so I’m going to figure out a plan to begin dosing regularly.
IMG_4181.jpeg

Planning to get a cuc for the tank this weekend. Also hoping to get a diamond goby to begin QT for the next two weeks then add him to the DT. I think having two weeks in QT should be plenty of time for the DTs biological system to adjust to the new clownfish! Will keep you updated on the progress!

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update on the sump now that I have it where I want… with my tank I got the Fiji automatic filter roller. I set that up last week. Also added in the protein skimmer last week and got broke in. I had to add an air valve to dial it in but it was a cheap Amazon cop. Running two heaters, one is a back up set to a lower temp.

I have a marine pure bio plate holding up the skimmer to the recommended water level and to help increase filtration. Added in a bag of carbon to help keep the water clear - yes I am using a filter sock as my “bag”

Finally, just got clean cheto from Algaebarn yesterday and that is my last sump addition.

On Sunday I added in the coralline algae so I’m hoping I’ll see that start growing a couple months. Prolly gonna hold off on adding corals for a little while longer
IMG_4299.jpeg

IMG_4300.jpeg

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally did a par meter reading on the tank. This was during the lighting high period and was at 50% intensity. I think it is solid but may slowly increase lighting to max out at 250 par at the top. Will probably do a second run of things to double check accuracy
IMG_4292.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back