OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a tank update. I've added a video to show you all what it looks like. The powerheads are all turned off and the pumps adjusted to allow for a clean look down view. The first hammer is new and has not been posted in here yet. The second hammer has been in for for almost a month now and is chilling.

I now have three torches in the tank chilling in a little corner. 2 of them have not been shared before but have been in the tank for close to 3 weeks now.

I have not seen much growth from the Zoa and it has been in there for about a month... hoping to start seeing some growth soon or I will start worrying.

The pink goniopora is doing great so far, but the yellow goniopora is not doing as well. I ran into an issue where I had to take some rock out and dig the pink goni out, but it has recovered well since then. I tried gluing the yellow goni in a spot I don't think it liked so I moved it hoping it would recover quickly but it has not been extending out... I'm hoping it'll settle in here and start extending... if not I may have to consider taking it out of the tank to avoid a bacteria bloom.

The Duncan has seen incredible growth since I first got it. Love to see it continue to grow and thrive.

My original green and pink acan is doing great and I can see multiple tiny heads growing out.. can't wait till they are larger and start booming!! My pink and orange acan is doing well. It has only been in the tank for a few weeks, so I'm expecting for the growth to pick up in another month or two.

All fish are alive and well. Planning to add 2 more fish in the next few months. Just need to get my quarantine tank back up and running... then I'll head to the lfs.

So far it's been a great ride and hoping for continued success. I am still testing alk and cal daily to ensure proper levels... I think a controller may be coming sooner than I originally planned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to order a Coralvue Hydros x10 as a controller for my setup. I decided to order only the x10 and to setup it up to auto dose alk, cal, and mag (now testing for mag). I’m still researching auto testing options so I decided to hold off on the IV isolated testing vessel but may opt to get it down the line.

Next I think I’ll be upgraded my lights… I think 2 xr15s will suite my tank great… wish I would’ve gotten them from the start but ya live and ya learn.

Once I get the x10 I’ll have to redo all my wire management and what not so more pictures of that to come.

If you have a hydros x10, what do you use it for? Any tips?

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I never made a post about my water station… so here it is. I currently use two Brute trash cans to make my water in the garage. The can on top is used to store RODI water. The bottom can is used to store mixed saltwater and is on wheels so I can easily move it out and put a 5 gallon bucket underneath when I need to add water to my ATO. I keep two cheap power heads and a heater in the saltwater can running 24/7 when there is saltwater. So far this setup has been working well for me and allows me to make water once every 3 weeks-ish.

It’s a simple setup but very effective. Need to organize it, but I’m planning to add additional DI canisters so once I complete that upgrade, I’ll reorganize.
IMG_5211.jpeg

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a tank update. I've added a video to show you all what it looks like. The powerheads are all turned off and the pumps adjusted to allow for a clean look down view. The first hammer is new and has not been posted in here yet. The second hammer has been in for for almost a month now and is chilling.

I now have three torches in the tank chilling in a little corner. 2 of them have not been shared before but have been in the tank for close to 3 weeks now.

I have not seen much growth from the Zoa and it has been in there for about a month... hoping to start seeing some growth soon or I will start worrying.

The pink goniopora is doing great so far, but the yellow goniopora is not doing as well. I ran into an issue where I had to take some rock out and dig the pink goni out, but it has recovered well since then. I tried gluing the yellow goni in a spot I don't think it liked so I moved it hoping it would recover quickly but it has not been extending out... I'm hoping it'll settle in here and start extending... if not I may have to consider taking it out of the tank to avoid a bacteria bloom.

The Duncan has seen incredible growth since I first got it. Love to see it continue to grow and thrive.

My original green and pink acan is doing great and I can see multiple tiny heads growing out.. can't wait till they are larger and start booming!! My pink and orange acan is doing well. It has only been in the tank for a few weeks, so I'm expecting for the growth to pick up in another month or two.

All fish are alive and well. Planning to add 2 more fish in the next few months. Just need to get my quarantine tank back up and running... then I'll head to the lfs.

So far it's been a great ride and hoping for continued success. I am still testing alk and cal daily to ensure proper levels... I think a controller may be coming sooner than I originally planned.

Even though we have come a long way as a hobby with Goniopora (who were once considered impossible to keep), they can still be sensitive corals with some variation among types for water flow and light. Sometimes a frag just won’t be happy and will die. Sticking with aquaculture’s frags from corals doing well in tanks helps but nothing is 100% with Goni.

As to your earlier question about lights, primes are 100% capable of getting top notch color out of corals. The frags looking better at the store than at home at first isn’t uncommon, they don’t love to change conditions.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new toy has arrived! Big shout out to Top Shelf Aquatics for quick processing and free overnight shipping! Can’t wait to get this plugged in and running!
IMG_5212.jpeg

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though we have come a long way as a hobby with Goniopora (who were once considered impossible to keep), they can still be sensitive corals with some variation among types for water flow and light. Sometimes a frag just won’t be happy and will die. Sticking with aquaculture’s frags from corals doing well in tanks helps but nothing is 100% with Goni.

As to your earlier question about lights, primes are 100% capable of getting top notch color out of corals. The frags looking better at the store than at home at first isn’t uncommon, they don’t love to change conditions.
Yea I completely agree - I’ve seen many people run into this same issue where one Goni is doing great then one right beside it is doing poor. The yellow Goni is starting to extend out a little more so I’m hoping it’s settling in there nicely.

So the primes are providing the corals with great color and growth, but I’ve noticed that the colors are slightly different than what they were under Ecotech radions. Even the corals that have been in the tank for 2/3 months have slightly different colors. Again, the colors still look great just different.

For example, one of my torches has a nice yellow-ish color and purple tips, but at the store it was an orange with purple tips. I added a link to what I really want the torch to look like.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be hard to get exactly the same look for some corals, as your lights will be slightly different and other parameters like phosphate and magnesium. You could ask them what their radion spectrum is and try to mimic it with your AI primes. They have fully controllable UV/violet/deep blue/red/white etc channels so you should be able to get a very similar spectrum.

Should add that torches are famous for varying depending on the exact lighting spectrum. A little extra deep blue or UV can make an orangey yellow look yellow or orange.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be hard to get exactly the same look for some corals, as your lights will be slightly different and other parameters like phosphate and magnesium. You could ask them what their radion spectrum is and try to mimic it with your AI primes. They have fully controllable UV/violet/deep blue/red/white etc channels so you should be able to get a very similar spectrum.
That is a good point… I’ll give that a try and see if I can get closer to their spectrum to help match colors. I don’t love tinkering with the lights but slow changes over a long period shouldn’t hurt the corals. I’ll reach out to them for their radion settings and try mimic it the best I can… give the corals a few months to adjust and the reassess!

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point… I’ll give that a try and see if I can get closer to their spectrum to help match colors. I don’t love tinkering with the lights but slow changes over a long period shouldn’t hurt the corals. I’ll reach out to them for their radion settings and try mimic it the best I can… give the corals a few months to adjust and the reassess!
Yeah minor adjustments in color spectrum shouldn’t hurt corals as long as you are not rapidly increasing par. As the tank fills in, you’ll realize that dialing in lights for any specific coral isn’t practical. Find a spectrum you like and where you think everything looks good and then lock it in. Let stable water parameters, good feeding and religious maintaining make the corals as healthy as possible and their colors are what they will be.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah minor adjustments in color spectrum shouldn’t hurt corals as long as you are not rapidly increasing par. As the tank fills in, you’ll realize that dialing in lights for any specific coral isn’t practical. Find a spectrum you like and where you think everything looks good and then lock it in. Let stable water parameters, good feeding and religious maintaining make the corals as healthy as possible and their colors are what they will be.
No doubt… I think I’m still trying to dial in a spectrum that gives me with colors that I’m happy with. Par levels will checked with any changes to the lights to ensure nothing is receiving too much light.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up the Hydros x10 was nice and smooth. Got the water temperature probe, pH probe (needs a week to break in), and two of the dosers up and running in about 2-3 hours. Most of that time was spent doing wire management but so far very happy with it.

The dosers came calibrated perfectly and Coralvue has amazing instructions and videos to guide the setup process. I’ll start sharing what the Hydros controller app looks like once the probes are broken in and I have dialed in the dosing schedule.

I can say I’m already a fan of having the controller. Woke up to an alarm going off bc my cats unplugged one of the return pumps and it threw off the temperature balance of the tank. Quick and easy fix but having that constant monitoring is clutch.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying something different for the next few weeks… My filter roller needed to be changed and while I was in the process of changing it I noticed how much of the roller was still clean and not being used effectively. Decided to take it out and put the filter socks back in… Although it will require more manual effort, I’m hoping it will be more effective at cleaning the water.

Phosphates normally rise to about .2 throughout the week, but since I’m trying to stabilize phosphate around .1, I’m still too high. Gonna see how this impacts the phosphate levels and reassess in a few weeks.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a cabinet beside the tank to hold random stuff I need. Put the dosing container in there and everything is look good..

Going to do some testing tonight and then adjust the dosing schedule.
IMG_5225.jpeg

IMG_5222.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my RODI system to a full 7 stage PRO system with Cation, anion, and a mixed bed resin to finish it off. I’m hoping this reduces the silica in my water to near zero which will hopefully kill off the diatoms… not sure how easy it is to tell but diatoms are a constant in my tank. I’ve considered a diamond goby but have to many corals that love the sand to risk it…. Planning to get some scolys soon so will have even more sand loving corals.

Have not added any water to the system from the new RODI system… but I’ll continue to document my progress in here.
IMG_5240.jpeg

Abyzter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi all! I finally got my new Fiji Cube 48 gal Ext tank. After some headaches from missing pieces and a few trips to the hardware store I was able get the stand setup and my plumping underway. I’m running dual return pumps; one going straight to the tank and one that goes to a UV sterilizer. Still a long way to go but check out the progress so far. The ATO is the Neptune systems.
IMG_4111.jpeg
IMG_4112.jpeg
IMG_4113.jpeg
I'm excited to see how your tank turns out!

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated tank video is live! The corals are extended out, colorful, and what I would consider to be… looking happy lol. The one hammer in the sand bed had a weird critter on it so I took it out and scraped off the growth… it will go back to its usual spot in a few days.

There is an SPS coral addition… I believe it’s a montipora but I’m honestly not too sure. I got it for free so can’t complain, but need to remember what it was.

Fish are happy are all as happy as can be…. Most of them are still a little camera shy other than the clowns… they are always swimming in clear eye sight. Probably going to add a wrasse soon.

I removed my RFG that were attached to the return pumps… did this so I could direct my return pumps to cause more surface agitation.

Rearranging the sump as I have an issue with chaeto/hair algae from the refugium getting into the pumps… so I’m going to move the refugium up a chamber and add a filter pad of some sorts to keep the fug tamed and pumps running clean.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some new pictures of the corals today and wanted to share them! So far everything is looking healthy, happy, and growing. All fish are thriving as well… I have a melanurus wrasse in QT that I will add to the DT in a week or two.

I added a rock flower anemone but don’t have a picture of that as it’s been hiding in the sand… only been in the tank for one night.

The Hydros x10 has made my life so easy with auto dosing. I now have it dialed in where alk stays around 8.8, cal stays around 450, and mag is not dosed as the weekly water changes keep this stable. Phos is normally around .08-.17, which is good enough for me. Would like to be closer to .05-.15, but not far off.

Still have two open dosers on the Hydros x10… so currently debating on what those should be used for.. Currently the x10 is pretty bare bones but will add some features to it overtime.
IMG_5288.jpeg

IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5273.jpeg

IMG_5276.jpeg

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_5279.jpeg

IMG_5280.jpeg

IMG_5281.jpeg

IMG_5283.jpeg

IMG_5284.jpeg

IMG_5285.jpeg

IMG_5287.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some new pictures of the corals today and wanted to share them! So far everything is looking healthy, happy, and growing. All fish are thriving as well… I have a melanurus wrasse in QT that I will add to the DT in a week or two.

I added a rock flower anemone but don’t have a picture of that as it’s been hiding in the sand… only been in the tank for one night.

The Hydros x10 has made my life so easy with auto dosing. I now have it dialed in where alk stays around 8.8, cal stays around 450, and mag is not dosed as the weekly water changes keep this stable. Phos is normally around .08-.17, which is good enough for me. Would like to be closer to .05-.15, but not far off.

Still have two open dosers on the Hydros x10… so currently debating on what those should be used for.. Currently the x10 is pretty bare bones but will add some features to it overtime.
IMG_5288.jpeg

IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5273.jpeg

IMG_5276.jpeg

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_5279.jpeg

IMG_5280.jpeg

IMG_5281.jpeg

IMG_5283.jpeg

IMG_5284.jpeg

IMG_5285.jpeg

IMG_5287.jpeg
Looking great and full of life!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sadly one of the royal grammas didn’t make it out of QT. I think he was getting beat up by the other one which was probably my mistake bc I added him to the QT after the one had already been in there a while. The other royal gramma looked healthy and strong so I added him into the DT as he had been in QT long enough. I’ll get some updated pics soon.
I've never really seen people have much success with multiple basslets outside large groups in fairly large tanks or mated pairs so don't beat yourself up too much about it! Great tank! How's the mandarin doing?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back