Sunny D's and AOG partially closed up for months

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my son is a couple of months old and work has calmed down, I have some time to spend working on my reef. One of the issues I am looking into is these zoas that have closed up starting a few months ago. These have both been in my reef and were growing significantly for about 8-12 months before closing up.

I have all softies, and the only other coral close to these (before moving them to the frag rack) are other zoas and palys. All my other leathers and zoas are doing great.

I can confirm it is not any tank inhabitants that are causing the issue. I have also not seen any kind of pest.

The tank is over 2 years old, and all parameters are within normal limits and stable. Lighting has also been consistent over the 2 years.

IMG_0391.jpeg

This is a pic of the sunny d's, I don't have any of the AOG but they look the same. There are maybe 80ish polyps of AOG with some Mind blowing palys next to them that are doing great, but all the AOG are like this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ideas?

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having a bit of the same problem, I have some zoas completelty open and fine, others where their skirt shrunk but otherwise fine, some that have shrunk down but still growing and open, and others completely/halfway closed. I think it is because I did 2 water changes instead of 4 this month as it has been a kind of recent problem. How often are you water changing?

BluTang85

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had a few zoa's do this and ended up moving them to a different location with less flow and they opened right up within a few days

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do regular water changes and I'm pretty confident its not related to water chemistry, it has remained stable for too long for it to be an issue. I moved the frag to lower light (it was in pretty high light) and lower flow about a week ago and it still looks like this. I just find it odd that everything else besides these two are doing great.

I forgot to mention I have probably 20 different kinds of zoas and palys, 800+ total polyps and these two are the only ones giving issues.

goatcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evasive. Are they on something where you can get them out and dip them? I mentally go to virus, bacterial, fungal when I’m out of ideas on light, flow, parasites, picking fish, and water quality. Perhaps a Furan 2 treatment? Seachem reef dip or revive?

Blow them off with Powerhead or turkey baster to see if there is anything on them?

I’ve had zoas go like this when I had Dino’s at one point, but if your other colonies are alright, it’s a head-scratcher.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evasive. Are they on something where you can get them out and dip them? I mentally go to virus, bacterial, fungal when I’m out of ideas on light, flow, parasites, picking fish, and water quality. Perhaps a Furan 2 treatment? Seachem reef dip or revive?

Blow them off with Powerhead or turkey baster to see if there is anything on them?

I’ve had zoas go like this when I had Dino’s at one point, but if your other colonies are alright, it’s a head-scratcher.

I was going to dip them in revive this morning but realized my revive expired over 2 years ago o_O So I did a lugol's dip instead. I inspected them very closely and could not see any signs of infection, parasites etc. I'm going to give them another week and if they don't improve I'm going to do a furan 2 dip.

goatcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one way in left field... do you use carbon? allelopathy (chemical warefare)-- have you added any leathers/goni's in the recent past? If it's all been in there a long time, it seems real unlikely, but carbon can pull some stuff out of the water?

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one way in left field... do you use carbon? allelopathy (chemical warefare)-- have you added any leathers/goni's in the recent past? If it's all been in there a long time, it seems real unlikely, but carbon can pull some stuff out of the water?

Yes I run carbon 24/7. Nothing has been added in the past 8+ months.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no change as of today. I went ahead and moved them to a lower light and lower flow area to see if they would open up. Funny think is there is a new baby polyp on the side that is wide open and looks great. Water parameters are still great, still no signs of pests, no fish or inverts that would be bothering them, and all the other zoas and palys are doing great.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would give an update. I ended up moving them to a low light area and after about a week they started to open up. They have now been moved back to full light and look even better than they did in the lower light. Still not perfect but they are on their way.
IMG_0551.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back