Super soaked salt mix

  • Thread starter Thread starter ams3210
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 13, 2023
Messages
44
Reaction score
64
Location
Seattle
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I made a stupid mistake and got distracted while filling a bucket with with RODI, and it overflowed. Thankfully for my floors I had placed the bucket on my box of aquavitro salinity salt, but unfortunately for my salt most of the water ended up inside the bag leaving me with a nearly completely saturated bag of salt. My question is, will the salt still be ok to use, or is it a total loss as a result of some chemical reaction messing up the mix? I don’t want to endanger my tank, but at the same time the box is about half full and it would be a real shame to have to toss it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
 
So, I made a stupid mistake and got distracted while filling a bucket with with RODI, and it overflowed. Thankfully for my floors I had placed the bucket on my box of aquavitro salinity salt, but unfortunately for my salt most of the water ended up inside the bag leaving me with a nearly completely saturated bag of salt. My question is, will the salt still be ok to use, or is it a total loss as a result of some chemical reaction messing up the mix? I don’t want to endanger my tank, but at the same time the box is about half full and it would be a real shame to have to toss it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
You could use it right away, but if you allow it to dry it is likely many chemical components will have precipitated and will no longer dissolve.
 
So, I made a stupid mistake and got distracted while filling a bucket with with RODI, and it overflowed. Thankfully for my floors I had placed the bucket on my box of aquavitro salinity salt, but unfortunately for my salt most of the water ended up inside the bag leaving me with a nearly completely saturated bag of salt. My question is, will the salt still be ok to use, or is it a total loss as a result of some chemical reaction messing up the mix? I don’t want to endanger my tank, but at the same time the box is about half full and it would be a real shame to have to toss it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Dissolve it fully in a rubbermaid tub or similar and use it with2-3 weeks
 
The only thing that will precipitate would be the calcium and alk (carbonate). Those can be added back with calcium chloride and baking soda.
 
The only thing that will precipitate would be the calcium and alk (carbonate). Those can be added back with calcium chloride and baking soda.

that’s what I would do as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new