super tiny hammer frags

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke these off a colony yesterday. Not sure how they will do on their own this size, while they may die I'd like to think at least 1 or 2 will survive to full size. I broke 4 off, 3 are pictured and all 4 have opened up. They were actually pretty hard. I tried to snap them with tweezers but needed bone cutters to cut them.

The reason I broke them is they were growing between heads and facing the next skeleton not up. So not only do they not have room to grow but they are not facing the right orientation. There are still other babies attached to the mother colony which I left both to compare and because they have more room so they don't need to be fragged.

Assuming they survive I will post updates, or a picture of teeny tiny skeletons.

microhammers.jpg

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 4 are still alive, they have grown some algae and perhaps gotten slightly bigger.
Estimated time until full grown 2025 :)

They probably will reach decent size within 1-2 years but this is a good example of why aquaculture cannot replace wild collection unless you have acres of vats growing tens of thousands of frags and have a 5 year head start. I am in no way against aquaculture I'd love to have a coral farm someday but to suggest they can replace wild collection is just not realistic anytime soon.

hammersjuly31.jpg

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to know how to market them, that's all. Andrew's aquacultured miniature hammers! [emoji16]
If they stayed that small I'd be all over buying one! lol. But I like miniature things. @Harrkim120 is right about the marketing. Or, you can market them as "test your skills by growing a hammer from birth".

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another baby. A toadstool. I'm actually pretty sure these guys have spawned in my frag tank. I have found quite a few on the eggcrate and a few far from where my frags / mother colonies are. Unlike the hammers inside a year this should be a decent sized piece :

toadstoolbaby.jpg

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another baby. A toadstool. I'm actually pretty sure these guys have spawned in my frag tank. I have found quite a few on the eggcrate and a few far from where my frags / mother colonies are. Unlike the hammers inside a year this should be a decent sized piece :

toadstoolbaby.jpg
Spawning coral is my dream. Especially zoas. I wonder if this new spawn will have any new attributes.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see what happens to itty bitty frags like that when kept in a purpose-built species specific environment, say with aggressively maintained pH at 8.3, ideal flow and just the right nutrient levels for euphyllia.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are cool. Hammers have always grown weird for me. For months no growth, than 3 heads a month

Give them some crazy name like micro plantet hammer and sell the 500 a piece :)

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are these looking now? I found what I think was an euphyllia spawn in my tank and glued it to a plug. Am wondering how long these take to grow.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are these looking now? I found what I think was an euphyllia spawn in my tank and glued it to a plug. Am wondering how long these take to grow.

Sorry to say I lost them after having some moderate issues in the frag tank - I guess it shouldn't be that surprising that super tiny corals are the most sensitive even even if the type is not.

That being said the colony is doing 100% fine in my display so maybe next time I'm doing a water change and target feeding I'll grab the colony and see if there are any new babies to snip off.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer colony has these little heads popping off the base as well, might give this a shot!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back