Super tiny... hydroid?

Michael Hughes

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2024
Messages
478
Reaction score
633
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000035367.jpg

It was not easy to get a shot of this little thing with my phone. The central disc, for lack of a better term, is somewhere around half a millimeter (estimate).

@EnterName have you seen something like this before?
 
It's a bit too irregular for a Hydroid medusa, I suppose or can it swim away and looks like a jelly fish?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscopy-thread.1138845/post-14401843

Hydroids can create the oddest structures: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscopy-thread.1138845/post-14463276
So maybe it's just the beginning of some colony
I haven't seem them swim to my knowledge. First noticed them in my pico tank a few months ago after adding some macroalgae, oyster shells, and hermits from the Atlantic coast of FL.

Over a few months they mostly disappeared from the acrylic. I later transferred some stuff from that tank to the 125 g. That was about a month ago, and this is the first time I've seen one on the glass here. It wasn't there yesterday though, so perhaps it could be a recently settled/attached medusa?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new