Superglue toxic?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was an early struggle and I was wondering if the Marco Rock leached it instead of absorbing. I use IO reef crystals and typically in the old system it would bump it to 10. I supplemented with All for Reef to keep it stable around 9.5. When I filled the new setup it was 11.4 from the start and have been trying to walk it back from there. Do you think that Alk is doing it?
Hard to say if that's the cause, but I know my LPS are much more sensitive to an alk swing than they are to any particular steady level (within reason of course... Stability at 5 or 13 would obviously be bad)

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of the coral?
01B65EED-6BD4-4138-9C42-404D6EF244DC.jpeg

B9983677-26A0-48B4-9AF7-003F3651165E.jpeg

Sorry these are so blue. That’s my two frogspawn. My two torches are very closed up also.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are nutrients low?

High alk and low nutrients are a bad combo as well but it sounds like this was more of a quick stressor not a slow one.

I use regular IO since it mixes up around 9.

Honestly I think reef crystals sucks for any sort of water change that would be on the large side like setting up a new tank or pico's. You went from 9.5 to 11.4 because of that dumb salt. It would have been ideal to buy a salt that mixes around 9.5 since you were adding a lot of new water.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails in a new tank sounds like starvation, especially the conch.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails in a new tank sounds like starvation, especially the conch.
Diatoms have taken off and you can see a clear path where the new trochus mowed through it. There were a couple of spots of hair, not sure if the snails got it or the tang. The snails and the coral seem to be the most affected. The fish seem very happy other than the disappearing Gramma. That's another thing that made me wonder about the super glue. The snails all over the rocks and then they are upside down.
Are nutrients low?

High alk and low nutrients are a bad combo as well but it sounds like this was more of a quick stressor not a slow one.

I use regular IO since it mixes up around 9.

Honestly I think reef crystals sucks for any sort of water change that would be on the large side like setting up a new tank or pico's. You went from 9.5 to 11.4 because of that dumb salt. It would have been ideal to buy a salt that mixes around 9.5 since you were adding a lot of new water.

I never realized the Alk was so high on the IO Reef Crystals. These corals in the EVO before the move were using a good bit and after water changes it never went above 10. All the new water though really took it up there. I just hope I don't loose all these corals in this transfer.

Seems like all the LPS the flesh is receding heavily. The mushrooms have been small the whole time. One starting to come around a little the past couple of days. One rock of Zoas have been totally closed up for a couple of days now but before this they were all fine. Candy Cane coral even seems to have recession and hasn't been open well. Clove polyps have done well the whole time.

The first two days after the move the frogspawn were huge and showing color like I have never seen before from the new light.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back