Superglue toxic?

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still stumped with why my new setup is struggling so much since it was a transfer. My parameters are been right in line from very early on. I have thought maybe it was the transition with my lights that had had the corals struggling. I moved over 4 torches snails and my conch and they all died. I replaced them and now my snails are starting to end up wrong side up. Trochus can flip themselves but these keep being upside down. Now I am wondering is all the glue that went into my new aquascape toxic? I have always thought it wired that it is ok to use superglue. This glue came from BRS. I know you use it for gluing corals but when so much is used in an aquascape can that cause a problem? I just can't come up with any other ideas on why my tank is struggling in the transition.

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is glue bought from a aquatic goods store for aquascaping, think about what you are asking. There must be some other explanation, maybe it isn’t beyond comprehension with supply problems these days.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is glue bought from a aquatic goods store for aquascaping, think about what you are asking. There must be some other explanation, maybe it isn’t beyond comprehension with supply problems these days.
Just trying to find answers. First rule of pharmacology, too much of anything can kill you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Still stumped with why my new setup is struggling so much since it was a transfer. My parameters are been right in line from very early on. I have thought maybe it was the transition with my lights that had had the corals struggling. I moved over 4 torches snails and my conch and they all died. I replaced them and now my snails are starting to end up wrong side up. Trochus can flip themselves but these keep being upside down. Now I am wondering is all the glue that went into my new aquascape toxic? I have always thought it wired that it is ok to use superglue. This glue came from BRS. I know you use it for gluing corals but when so much is used in an aquascape can that cause a problem? I just can't come up with any other ideas on why my tank is struggling in the transition.
Some based on ingredients. Gel superglue safe and Gorilla brand so far seems safe. I prefer frag glue which I know is safe as I will not risk several hundreds of dollars of livestock to save $2 on glue

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you provide details of the tank transfer? How long ago? Did you reuse old sand? What parameters have you been testing and what were/are the levels? Have you done any water changes since things started dying?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanoacrylate is not toxic to marine life (assuming it's not actually applied to living flesh)
Ever watch a fish glue its mouth shut trying to get some of the glue?

Quite hilarious. My male gladiator used to do this Constantly then go pout to mama clown until it fell off.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide details of the tank transfer? How long ago? Did you reuse old sand? What parameters have you been testing and what were/are the levels? Have you done any water changes since things started dying?
All the details are in my build thread. Didn't use old sand. Large pieces of old rock in the sump and 3 old pieces with zoas in the display tank. Frogspawn looked awesome the first two days and now it's receded very badly. Parameters from this morning:

77 degrees
5.3 Nitrate
10.2 Alk
.01 Phosphate

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the details are in my build thread. Didn't use old sand. Large pieces of old rock in the sump and 3 old pieces with zoas in the display tank. Frogspawn looked awesome the first two days and now it's receded very badly. Parameters from this morning:

77 degrees
5.3 Nitrate
10.2 Alk
.01 Phosphate
How does the alk today compare with the alk from the old system? A swing could definitely cause coral stress...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not toxic but it does get weaker over time under reef conditions so using it to glue an aquascape is less than ideal since rocks could eventually fall. 2 part epoxy is what should be used for aquascape.

Did you use any silicone to glue a sump or anything? Some of those have mold inhibitors which can cause problems.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the alk today compare with the alk from the old system? A swing could definitely cause coral stress...
That was an early struggle and I was wondering if the Marco Rock leached it instead of absorbing. I use IO reef crystals and typically in the old system it would bump it to 10. I supplemented with All for Reef to keep it stable around 9.5. When I filled the new setup it was 11.4 from the start and have been trying to walk it back from there. Do you think that Alk is doing it?

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not toxic but it does get weaker over time so using it to glue an aquascape is less than ideal since rocks could eventually fall. 2 part epoxy is what should be used for aquascape.

Did you use any silicone to glue a sump or anything? Some of those have mold inhibitors which can cause problems.
No, nothing there. Just the super glue, the putty and the powder from breaking up rock. When that glue and the powder heat up and have the chemical reaction though it smokes and will choke you up. It is very strong and why I wondered if there could be an issue there. It was rinsed in RODI and it was a couple of weeks after it was finished before it went into the setup.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back