supplement led with t5

  • Thread starter Thread starter dyates442
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dyates442

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
58
Reaction score
22
Location
Ft Payne Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the older 144w Chinese black box leds on 90 tank color is good but growth is slow on lps and sps. My question is would supplementing t5s help if so how many bulbs and what bulbs.
CA 450
Alk 11
Mag 1420
Nitrate nitrite phosphate and am 0
 

Attachments

  • 20150909_110238.jpg
    20150909_110238.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 211
I just added four t5s to my 180 gallon reef this week. The growth from my LEDs were fine. I felt like white and blue weren't presenting the colors I felt the corals had. I added a ati coral plus and an ati blue plus to the front and back of my tank. Instantly the tank had the color temperature I wanted plus some of the coral had better color.

I am not saying the corals needed to be colored up. Only a different spectrum my whites and blues didnt provide.

I'm happy with the t5s. I'll see what the results are in time.
 
I added 2 54w T5's to my 2 Radion Pro's and love them! Has definitely improved color and shadowing but I doubt the addition of just a couple T5's will give you much on the growth.
Imo your statement of phosphate and nitrates at 0 is at least part of the problem. Probably on color and growth. I'm assuming your not running a zeovit tank or anything are you? Your nutrients show ultra low nutrients and your alk seems high for a Ulns. Instead of delving way into this you should read this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/210035/
Although I don't completely agree with the "system" they use detailed in this thread I do believe there's tons of good info about nitrates and phosphates that's pretty spot on imo.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new