Supplemental feeding for Lettuce Nudibranch

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Saltines,

Can anyone recommend supplemental feeding for Lettuce Nudibranch's? I am pretty sure they are general algae eaters and I read they can be fed Nori. Has anyone done this? Would I clip it to the side of the tank or a rock?

Will they much on sinking algae pellets? If so is there a specific type? I have algae pellets for my freshwater fish.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get it exchanged? There are a number of species sold under the common name "lettuce nudibranch", and some of them seem to prefer bryopsis almost exclusively. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try nori, but the anecdotes I've read on this site seem to speak of mixed successes.

Perhaps you can get a mule's ear abalone. They also require supplemental feedings unless you've got a big tank, but they easily take nori.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get it exchanged? There are a number of species sold under the common name "lettuce nudibranch", and some of them seem to prefer bryopsis almost exclusively. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try nori, but the anecdotes I've read on this site seem to speak of mixed successes.

Perhaps you can get a mule's ear abalone. They also require supplemental feedings unless you've got a big tank, but they easily take nori.
Thanks for this! I will try to get the scientific name from the LFS to confirm the type. So far he's mowing down all the turf algae and I think cyano. I had no idea he would do such a good job because every other CUC I've had that supposedly took care of algae really did nothing. My main concern is with my tank only being 5g he will have chowed down on all of it in less than 2 weeks. I can't believe that I'm hoping for the algae to come back to keep feeding him. These guys should be on a rental list with the LFS because at this point I won't need him full-time. Having said that he is such a cool little dude that I would like to keep him if possible. :) I will try Nori and sinking pellets. I would love to have an abalone but they get big don't they?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the scientific name would be a good idea.

A lettuce slug’s (typically Elysia genus) wild diet varies pretty drastically from one species to another, with some species having some pretty specific diets (I don’t know if these are required diets or preferred diets though, and I don’t know if they would eat other foods while in captivity). So, knowing which one you’re dealing with could actually help a lot with potential feed recommendations. That said, these guys tend to feed by literally sucking out the insides of the algae’s cells, and they store the plastids from the algae to basically use as an emergency energy supply if needed later. So, given how they eat, I don’t know how well supplement feeding will work, as live or very freshly harvested (like from a refugium) algae would certainly be preferred.

That said, if you try it, let us know how it goes (I like these guys too, so I’m hoping it will work).

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to give them live green algae, because they don't "eat" the algae, so much as suck out the live chloroplasts and use that for photosynthesis. Mine liked ulva and I think it held the little bit of bryopsis I have in the sand bed at bay. Can you try adding some leafy green macro to the tank or would that be counterproductive?

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the scientific name would be a good idea.

A lettuce slug’s (typically Elysia genus) wild diet varies pretty drastically from one species to another, with some species having some pretty specific diets (I don’t know if these are required diets or preferred diets though, and I don’t know if they would eat other foods while in captivity). So, knowing which one you’re dealing with could actually help a lot with potential feed recommendations. That said, these guys tend to feed by literally sucking out the insides of the algae’s cells, and they store the plastids from the algae to basically use as an emergency energy supply if needed later. So, given how they eat, I don’t know how well supplement feeding will work, as live or very freshly harvested (like from a refugium) algae would certainly be preferred.

That said, if you try it, let us know how it goes (I like these guys too, so I’m hoping it will work).
I'm glad you confirmed the part about sucking out the plastids from algae. I read an article about this after I got him and now I'm trying to find the article again. I will contact my LFS. These little dudes weren't on the website yet when I got him and I didn't realize there were multiple species sold under the same name. I really, really hope I can find something he will eat (or hope for a return of the uglies). Can you imagine wishing for that just to keep a tank inhabitant happy? :) I will report back.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to give them live green algae, because they don't "eat" the algae, so much as suck out the live chloroplasts and use that for photosynthesis. Mine liked ulva and I think it held the little bit of bryopsis I have in the sand bed at bay. Can you try adding some leafy green macro to the tank or would that be counterproductive?
Thanks for this! I can certainly try adding macro. I have been thinking of adding some regardless because the tanks I've seen with macro in them are gorgeous and if will help keep this guy flourishing then it's a win/win. Did you have the Ulva planted or just clipped to the sides of the tank or rock? I still have to get the scientific name for mine. I didn't realize there are multiple species with the same common name. I've become quite attached to this little guy. I have to try and get him the nourishment he needs.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

John @reefcleaners might have some advice on supplemental feeding. Mine from ReefCleaners was great, but just like his webpage says, watch out for intakes (I came in one day and found the filter pad below my intake turned sideways letting everything theough the filtration and no lettuce slug in the tank).

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I can certainly try adding macro. I have been thinking of adding some regardless because the tanks I've seen with macro in them are gorgeous and if will help keep this guy flourishing then it's a win/win. Did you have the Ulva planted or just clipped to the sides of the tank or rock? I still have to get the scientific name for mine. I didn't realize there are multiple species with the same common name. I've become quite attached to this little guy. I have to try and get him the nourishment he needs.
Do you have a pic? If I remember correctly, @SlugSnorter gave me some good info on them.

Haha, I actually got mine because of an ulva problem! Small pieces of ulva were growing on top of my galaxaura and a few corals and smothering them. None left now, although I have to give part of the credit to an absolutely amazing limpet hitchhiker from my gulf rocks that decimates nuisance algae.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

John @reefcleaners might have some advice on supplemental feeding. Mine from ReefCleaners was great, but just like his webpage says, watch out for intakes (I came in one day and found the filter pad below my intake turned sideways letting everything theough the filtration and no lettuce slug in the tank).
Oh nooooo. Sorry to hear that. Thankfully my tank doesn't have the typical intakes that a more sophisticated reef tank has. It's a Top Fin tank meant for freshwater fish. Being new to the hobby when I got it I only realized later there is a difference in tank styles so there's nothing for him to get sucked into and my powerheads are covered as well. :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pic? If I remember correctly, @SlugSnorter gave me some good info on them.

Haha, I actually got mine because of an ulva problem! Small pieces of ulva were growing on top of my galaxaura and a few corals and smothering them. None left now, although I have to give part of the credit to an absolutely amazing limpet hitchhiker from my gulf rocks that decimates nuisance algae.
That's funny about your Ulva problem. Funny how things turn out. Here's a pic of my guy. I think it looks the same as the info you sent me. What do you think? I can get a better pic of the top of him if needed.

Attachments

• 20221025_140151_compress22.jpg
    20221025_140151_compress22.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 75

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try Nori and sinking pellets. I would love to have an abalone but they get big don't they?
An abalone would look like a monster from a Japanese sci-fi movie from the 1950s in a 5g tank! All you'd need would be tiny crushed buildings and a tiny, fleeing populace to create your sequel to Ebirah, Horror of the Deep...

they are cool, though.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An abalone would look like a monster from a Japanese sci-fi movie from the 1950s in a 5g tank! All you'd need would be tiny crushed buildings and a tiny, fleeing populace to create your sequel to Ebirah, Horror of the Deep...

they are cool, though.
lol and... I already know what that scene looks like. I happened to see a pic of a cool clingfish on my lfs's website and for some reason I thought he was 1" long. Turned out he was 3" and still kind of growing. He looks like Godzilla in my tank. He's super sweet but too big. I setup another tank for him (a 4g... Yes I know it's smaller) that he has all to himself. LOL I guess I'll wait for the abalone. Haha.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny about your Ulva problem. Funny how things turn out. Here's a pic of my guy. I think it looks the same as the info you sent me. What do you think? I can get a better pic of the top of him if needed.
Adorable! depending on the species, if they are eating a lot they will be a darker shade of green like mine was:
IMG_20220630_113453352.jpg

IMG_20220629_142723444.jpg

If you aren't in California, you could try some Caulerpa, which I understand some species like well enough. I wouldn't suggest adding bryopsis to your tank :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adorable! depending on the species, if they are eating a lot they will be a darker shade of green like mine was:
IMG_20220630_113453352.jpg

IMG_20220629_142723444.jpg

If you aren't in California, you could try some Caulerpa, which I understand some species like well enough. I wouldn't suggest adding bryopsis to your tank :)
Ya, I will hold off on the bryopsis for now! Haha. I will check on Caulpera. My guy is a fairly dark green and is green all over. Yours is very pretty with those belly markings!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back