supplementing radion G2 pros

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting three used Gen2 pros over a 125 softie/lps/anemone system. I'll be using the RMS rail system.

1st question; would you orient them inline for the widest coverage or sideways for reduced shadowing?

2nd question; Would updating them to wide angle lenses make sense? 35$/each

3rd question; Would updating them to the new diffusers make sense? 65$/each

4th ; do you think supplemental lighting will be necessary to reduce/eliminate shading ?
If so what sort of supplementation is recommended? Blue/actinic, purple, 50/50, daylight etc...

appreciate any input.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting three used Gen2 pros over a 125 softie/lps/anemone system. I'll be using the RMS rail system.

1st question; would you orient them inline for the widest coverage or sideways for reduced shadowing?

2nd question; Would updating them to wide angle lenses make sense? 35$/each

3rd question; Would updating them to the new diffusers make sense? 65$/each

4th ; do you think supplemental lighting will be necessary to reduce/eliminate shading ?
If so what sort of supplementation is recommended? Blue/actinic, purple, 50/50, daylight etc...

appreciate any input.

Let's see what the Radion guys think!

Bump

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 125G 6' long? If so, then you might need to raise them up higher to get more spread. Those are plenty of light for softies, LPS and most 'nems. Some of the higher light nems like Gigs and Mags would probably need more light, but most people don't keep these much anymore.

You can always address the shadowing when it happens. T5s are most people's go-to. You could also be on the lookout for a third used G2 Radion which will help a lot too. The shadowing might never be a problem in your tank.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 125G 6' long? If so, then you might need to raise them up higher to get more spread. Those are plenty of light for softies, LPS and most 'nems. Some of the higher light nems like Gigs and Mags would probably need more light, but most people don't keep these much anymore.

You can always address the shadowing when it happens. T5s are most people's go-to. You could also be on the lookout for a third used G2 Radion which will help a lot too. The shadowing might never be a problem in your tank.

Yes it's a 6 footer. I have three G2's . I was thinking if I could score three more I'd only be running them at 10-15% but my coverage issues should be nonexistent :) I can't really place them much higher than the rail arms as I'm running a header fuge above the DT so my space is tight. As far as Nems; I love Mags but if I ever keep one I think it will be a system dedicated to one. I'm more thinking BTA, LTA, Sebae, or Malu along with an RFA garden. Other than the RFA garden and the BTA nothing else is set in stone.

As far as supplementation I assumed it would either be T5 or led strip like lumi light, sbreef bar, orphek bars(essentially led attempts at t5) etc... to deal with the shading if it's an issue. With point source pucks I have trouble seeing how it wouldn't be an issue. IMHO it's one of the biggest problems with leds.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be totally fine with three Gen 2s. I would go with that for now. Shadowing is not as big of a deal with LPS and softies... and of course the nems will move around to find the light. Shadowing is more of a SPS issue until you get huge colonies of LPS, and then you will be happy to buy some T5s or new panels since you are doing so well. Some RFAs really like the light, but you can keep those under the higher powered cone that the pucks put out.

If you ever want a Mag, then consider a Metal Halide for it - I consider these specialty specimen that need specialty care. There was a guy on here who was trying a mag under some sort of LED, but it kept moving on him and I have not seen an update in a while. My few friends who tried to move their Mags under LEDs had bad results, but this could totally be small sample size.

If you are really worried about shadowing, then use the Gen 2s for now and save up for some Orphek V4s or RB Photons which spread a lot better. They are not cheap, but might be a good compromise for spread and performance and people get good results from them.

The only real issue with investing in Gen 2s is that if you will eventually not be able to replace them. You can still kinda find them now, but in a few years, then who knows. You might have to start using Gen 4s, or the like just out of availability.

Sorry that I missed that you had a trio of Gen 2s. My bad.

Straight.Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my ritteri under radion gen 4 pros for about 4 months now but I JUST recently added t5s also but the ritteri never moved or anything on me, maybe just luck!

I added the t5 for possible shadowing issues on acros but not for the ritteri or LPS even though I know it can only help

Last edited:

Straight.Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dd1cb2aea9af2a9056983f3a39fcc3ff.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never should have posted that. When you get up in the AM it will have moved directly over your most favorite coral. Take it back. Take it back now. :) Seriously, well done. They are good at telling you when they are upset, so it is probably perfectly happy.

Straight.Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never should have posted that. When you get up in the AM it will have moved directly over your most favorite coral. Take it back. Take it back now. [emoji4] Seriously, well done. They are good at telling you when they are upset, so it is probably perfectly happy.

You are actually 100% right !!! I’m About to delete it lol

I KNOW that just jinxed me and thank you!! The 4t5s will definitely help and make it even happier though!! I definitely think I got lucky with it not moving! I knew my parameters were in line but it’s always iffy on the lighting and most of all flow!! But hasn’t moved since I added in.......yet

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump........ any input on whether to run them inline or front to back?

As an aside I would have loved to used three Orphek compact but that amount of coin for an LPS tank seems a bit much at the moment. I mean this is a used 125 gotten on the cheap, with a diy 40B for a sump and a diy stand. The only thing I splurged on was a custom dispaly fuge(72x112x12). So when I had a chance to grab the three radion xr3ow g2 for 225$ each it seemed like a no brainer.

Straight.Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump........ any input on whether to run them inline or front to back?

As an aside I would have loved to used three Orphek compact but that amount of coin for an LPS tank seems a bit much at the moment. I mean this is a used 125 gotten on the cheap, with a diy 40B for a sump and a diy stand. The only thing I splurged on was a custom dispaly fuge(72x112x12). So when I had a chance to grab the three radion xr3ow g2 for 225$ each it seemed like a no brainer.

What are the dimensions of the tank the radions are on again?

Straight.Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do all of them sideways for now and then if you could ever grab an extra one I’d put the two side radions sideways and the two middles ones front to back

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back