Sure glad I got a refractometer

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my hydrometer I was running my tank at 1.026 and after testing with a refractometer I was actually running at around 1.029

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my hydrometer I was running my tank at 1.026 and after testing with a refractometer I was actually running at around 1.029
A refractometer is not necessarily better than a hydrometer. In fact one can state that you are more likely to get an inaccurate reading from a refractometer because of the need for calibration. Also, a refractometer does not measure specific gravity unlike a hydrometer.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also glad for that purchase. My hydrometer would read something different every time refilled. Just be sure to keep up with calibration every time, with either distilled or the solution. That's a key to accuracy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also glad for that purchase. My hydrometer would read something different every time refilled. Just be sure to keep up with calibration every time, with either distilled or the solution. That's a key to accuracy.

Distilled water will only lead to an accurate measurement if it is a true seawater refractometer, which most used by hobbyists are not. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refractometer is not necessarily better than a hydrometer. In fact one can state that you are more likely to get an inaccurate reading from a refractometer because of the need for calibration. Also, a refractometer does not measure specific gravity unlike a hydrometer.

You could state that, but if you are comparing to plastic swing arm hydrometers, it is probably not correct as hobbyists use the two devices. lol

For a high quality floating glass hydrometer, I agree, they are very often highly accurate.

That said, I prefer conductivity to either method. :)

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water will only lead to an accurate measurement if it is a true seawater refractometer, which most used by hobbyists are not. :)
That is good to know, perhaps I should stick to the calibration fluid. I was unaware of that. Mine is definitely not a fancy one!

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could state that, but if you are comparing to plastic swing arm hydrometers, it is probably not correct as hobbyists use the two devices. lol

For a high quality floating glass hydrometer, I agree, they are very often highly accurate.

:)
I think the statement that hobby grade refractometers are more accurate than hobby grade hydrometers is probably correct.

That said, I prefer conductivity to either method. :)
What is your opinion on the Apex conductivity probe?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the statement that hobby grade refractometers are more accurate than hobby grade hydrometers is probably correct.

Plastic swing arm hydrometers? Probably. Floating glass hydrometers? No. And that assumes that the refractometer is being calibrated correctly. Many people mistakenly use RO/DI or distilled water on a brine refractometer so get inherently incorrect results in seawater.

FWIW, I tested a variety of hydrometers here. The Tropic Marin floating glass hydrometer was quite accurate.

Chemistry and the Aquarium: Specific Gravity: Oh How Complicated! ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/1/chemistry

from it:

"So how do these hydrometers measure up? In my tank the water was measured to be S=35 ± 0.5 by conductivity. Using the Deep Six swing arm hydrometer I got readings of S=32.5 ± 0.5 at 81 °F and S=32 ± 0.5 at 68 °F. Using the SeaTest I got S=34.5 ± 0.5 at 81 °F and S=34 ± 0.5 at 68 °F.

For the standard type Tropic Marin hydrometer, I got a 77 °F/ 77 °F specific gravity of about 1.0265 ± 0.0003 (Figure 4), which compares well to the expected value of 1.0264."

Figure 4. A Tropic Marin hydrometer showing the meniscus rising to about 1.0260, but the actual reading is about 1.0265.

Figure_4.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion on the Apex conductivity probe?

I've not used an Apex, but I have seen some folks with calibration or other issues with them. But I assume most folks use them just fine. I generally used an old Orion model 128 conductivity meter and probe (expensive but with 4 electrodes for better accuracy and stability), and a Pinpoint.

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also suggest in investing in calibration fluid. A bottle is about $6 and spot on compared to zeroing out with RO water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back