Sure Grip mags in GB? Anyone?

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, not happy right now. I've got three nice rock mags from Aquamags and they've been in the basement tank growing coraline for six months. Now I epoxied some of my nicest frags to the freakin' things only to find the magnets will not hold on 5/8 inch glass even though I was told they would via email before I bought them.

Anyone know where I can buy Sure Grip magnets in GB? Or have two I can buy? This is the only solution I can think of but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like them right away if anyone has any.........

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:xd::tongue:

Hey John I have one for sure possibly even two!!

I could drop it or both of them depending on how many tomorrow Night? That work for you? :horse::hell_boy:

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you're upset when you still can't sleep at 1:30am. Oh how I love and hate this hobby at the same time...

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crack open a bottle of Asti!!!! That should help you out! I will bring the one by earlier if I can tomorrow. But its just me and the little guy so I will see how it goes. What time you going home for lunch?

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you know why I don't skimp on the magnets in my products. You are not the only one I know of that has run into this problem. I had guys come up to me at Macna and start yelling at me that the mag rock they bought failed. Only to realize it wasn't my product they purchased. I reccomend mine for 1/2" glass but if you have been to Reefs you realize they will hold on 3/4" just fine.

I have a few hundred sets in the shop. Let me know if you can't find any. Just be careful if you plan to countersink the magnet into the product. That stuff is brittle as heck. I had one sent to me awhile back and it crumbled in my hands with almost no effort.

Scott

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you get up early. I was actually on alternativereef.com at 2am looking at the mag shelves. I bought the rocks because they were all I could find at the time - and then promptly saw your shelves in Reefs. They won't be countersunk, and as such will be standing off the glass 1/2".

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Gooch and Reefs helped out with that. Thanks for the other one. They're going on when I get home.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now thats what its all about!!! Reefers Helping out Reefers!!! Anything else I can do to help just let me know!

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you get up early. I was actually on alternativereef.com at 2am looking at the mag shelves. I bought the rocks because they were all I could find at the time - and then promptly saw your shelves in Reefs. They won't be countersunk, and as such will be standing off the glass 1/2".

4:45 am. Trust me it is not by choice. I'll get to bed about 1:00 tonight. Kiln will start up by 4:30-5:00 on Saturday. It is the only way I can do a fire on back to back days. Trust me there is no glamour in my life.

And I help when I can or I feel a need too. John is a customer of one of my vendors and we have talked multiple times. I am actually going to fire one of his ideas in a week or two.

Scott

haydenp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol..I'll second the crazyness of Gooch's magnets. Ya almost need a crowbar to get them apart.

speaking of randomly firing ideas....how about some thin sheets that are scored in a 1/2" grid. I'm thinking for growing encrusting montis and similar corals, let it grow over the sheet, then snap off a 1/2" piece and attach it to a large plug for further growth and sale. I made a acrylic prototype but the corals can't hold on to the acrylic and don't grow as fast as they do on your plugs...

just a thought :)

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are making tiles for Midwest Saltwater and The Filter Guys. They are taking orders on them until the end of the month. They are not scored but they are thin and will break up pretty easy.

I will say only this.......I have new molds in the works. What your asking can be done and I have done it. But I can only do it by hand and my breakage and scrap was over 50%. But if the new design comes back the way I want it to. You will like them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back