Surface agitation and evaporation

trietnguyen000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if anyone notice a relationship between surface agitation and evaporation rate?

I have noticed that since I added two MP10s to my tank and placed them where the surface agitation is high the water evaporation rate is so much slower. My tank would evaporate around 5gal every 10 days before the MP10s were added and now it’s not even 2.5gal at two weeks.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.....usually it is the opposite. The more surface agitation you have, the faster it evaporates due to the ripples creating more surface area for evaporation (at least that is what I have been told lol)? Are you sure it just isn't related to humidity levels in your house or water temp in the tank?

OP
OP
T

trietnguyen000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.....usually it is the opposite. The more surface agitation you have, the faster it evaporates due to the ripples creating more surface area for evaporation (at least that is what I have been told lol)? Are you sure it just isn't related to humidity levels in your house or water temp in the tank?
I don’t think there was a change in the tank temp. So perhaps the humidity since I’m opening the window next to the tank more often. This also makes sense because central air heater of the house aren’t running because it’s warmer out.
Thanks for clarifying.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back