Surface agitation vs oxygen

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!! I've read the hits I could about surface agitation and oxygen on this site and still can't find an answer. My question is simple... If I'm running a corner low where water drops and trickles AND. Goes to sump, filter sock,. Then they a skimmer on an open top sump.... WHY would I need surface agitation. ? The water and gas exchange happens twice from cornerflo and in open sump? Anybody have sum thoughts to share to this Noob!?!? Hahahhaha. Thanks!!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!! I've read the hits I could about surface agitation and oxygen on this site and still can't find an answer. My question is simple... If I'm running a corner low where water drops and trickles AND. Goes to sump, filter sock,. Then they a skimmer on an open top sump.... WHY would I need surface agitation. ? The water and gas exchange happens twice from cornerflo and in open sump? Anybody have sum thoughts to share to this Noob!?!? Hahahhaha. Thanks!!!
Great question. Following along for the answer as I am curious myself :)

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps prevent a "slick" from forming on the surface as well as providing the shimmer effect we all love to see in our aquariums if youre using MH or leds. It's not necessary if you have water going through an overflow and sump but it does help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the formation of an organic film on the water surface, aeration is way harder than most people think. If aeration was perfect, there would be no day to night pH change, and yet everyone has it due to CO2 accumulation at night.

TJ Jiang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)
Thank you so much for the Article, Randy! It appears to be that our powerheads are doing a very minimum job on oxygen exchange since our PH level changes drastically in the night due to the hypoxic environment.

I might think twice that not aiming the powerhead too much on the surface since it accelerates the evaporation of our water on the tank surface. Am I on the right track? Thanks again, Randy!:)

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that surface agitation also helps with heat dissipation too doesn't it? It would make sense.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the Article, Randy! It appears to be that our powerheads are doing a very minimum job on oxygen exchange since our PH level changes drastically in the night due to the hypoxic environment.

I might think twice that not aiming the powerhead too much on the surface since it accelerates the evaporation of our water on the tank surface. Am I on the right track? Thanks again, Randy!:)

Do you want to increase evaporation (some do, some don’t)?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that surface agitation also helps with heat dissipation too doesn't it? It would make sense.

yes, but that isn't always desirable. My tank needed substantial heating mist months of the year.

TJ Jiang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want to increase evaporation (some do, some don’t)?
Thanks for replying Randy! I wanted to decrease the evaporation of my system thus I can minimize the salinity fluctuations, and I simply don't have to replenish my ATO reservoir that often.

But what would be the advantage of increased water evaporation? From my understanding, the evaporation is only taking out the pure water from the saltwater, and we simply just top-off freshwater to remain salinity in balance.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying Randy! I wanted to decrease the evaporation of my system thus I can minimize the salinity fluctuations, and I simply don't have to replenish my ATO reservoir that often.

But what would be the advantage of increased water evaporation? From my understanding, the evaporation is only taking out the pure water from the saltwater, and we simply just top-off freshwater to remain salinity in balance.

The evaporation process assists in lowering the temperature of the tank, like a swamp cooler!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

some folks use their evaporated water to deliver additives, like limewater (kalkwasser) and more evaporation means you can dose more.

it also cools the tank, which some folks need.

TJ Jiang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some folks use their evaporated water to deliver additives, like limewater (kalkwasser) and more evaporation means you can dose more.

it also cools the tank, which some folks need.
Thank you Randy! You can always learn sth new in this hobby every day! Haha

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to necro-post but I figured I’d try here before starting a whole new thread. So does this mean that…

More surface agitation = more evaporation ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to necro-post but I figured I’d try here before starting a whole new thread. So does this mean that…

More surface agitation = more evaporation ?

I think that is mostly only true if the agitation is low enough that you get a surface film of organic matter that inhibits water transfer.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the formation of an organic film on the water surface, aeration is way harder than most people think. If aeration was perfect, there would be no day to night pH change, and yet everyone has it due to CO2 accumulation at night.
I think that is mostly only true if the agitation is low enough that you get a surface film of organic matter that inhibits water transfer.
I’m running my first ever HOB filter for a reef. I changed to an Aquamaxx filter that had a waterfall style overflow instead of the trickle that I had before. I also run a Nero 5 for flow but I can’t get it to the surface as close as I’d like because air bubbles form. My question: how do I know if I have enough surface agitation to prevent my fish from dying due to lack of oxygen?

Back