Surface film quandary ( advice needed)

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me apologize up front for the over explanation of my concern. I have a 65 DT that’s been up for about 9 months. 2 months ago I had an issue keeping my nitrates and phosphates under control. My filtration at that time was a Aquaclear 110 hob , reef octopus hob skimmer, and a fluval 407 canister. Roughly a month ago I decided to make a diy sump to add some extra specific filtration and to “clean up the look in the DT”. So I made that happen and slightly modified the reef octo in order to have it in the sump so now my DT looks a lot cleaner. My issue now is that I have this oily film at the surface of the display tank that doesn’t go away even with the overflow box skimming the water surface. The tank is only a 65 and I already have my return pump maxed out for the most flow and I really don’t wanna add any more flow because I think it maybe almost to much already for my corals. When I had the reef octo on the DT I never had the film because one of the features of the reef octo is a surface skimmer at the intake and it works. My overall question is this.... do I leave everything alone ? I know the film stops some O2 exchange but I do have the sump with no film Do I put the skimmer back up top and mess with the clean look that I want ? Or do I try to find another solution?
Thanks fir any thoughts

AE31B1FA-F83B-40F4-B1E0-B6D6F0C52FED.jpeg A9DCCC8B-A5FD-4403-8888-51BDFAF1B65E.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lay or float plain ole paper towels on the surface and pull off/across ... do this a few times changing paper towels....
you should be good to go

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a film in a few chambers on wife's sump so I added a 30$ air pump and dropped in a air line , no diffuser, and some cheap air control valves and the movement got rid of it. In her DT I put a clear 1/4 in acrylic rod connected it to another line and it looks good and adds to surface disruption. It sounds like you're skimmer was doing that but now its moved. For 40$ you could do as we and will probably fix you're prob. Cheap and easy fix in this hobby, or as I prefer life style. Good luck

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had this problem in the past with my corner overflow and surface film collecting on one side. on the side it was collecting i raised my power head to agitate the surface and lowered the other powerhead near the overflow forcing the surface water towards the overflow to be skimmed off. havent had that problem since

also, make sure your water level is lower in the overflow box than your display, that was another a problem i had.

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the ideas and replies. I just decided to move the skimmer back to the DT and it solved the issue.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the ideas and replies. I just decided to move the skimmer back to the DT and it solved the issue.
Go to the hot tub/spa store and get a SCUMBUG.

Also, wash your hands with Dawn and rinse aggressively. Try not to put your hands in the tank.

Cprivi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the hot tub/spa store and get a SCUMBUG.

Also, wash your hands with Dawn and rinse aggressively. Try not to put your hands in the tank.
This worked like a charm! I ordered scum bugs from Amazon and received 2 sponges that are about 3x3. Dropped them in the sump around 5pm and the next morning I could not believe how crystal clear my sump was! Thanks for the tip!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back