Surface scum

Jaychevy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting surface film it's not oily just a film. I have the return nozzle pointed at the surface and it clears the path around the film but thats it. It's a 25g AIO tank. The water is below the intake grates. And I have a HOB skimmer. Thanks

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting surface film it's not oily just a film. I have the return nozzle pointed at the surface and it clears the path around the film but thats it. It's a 25g AIO tank. The water is below the intake grates. And I have a HOB skimmer. Thanks
Needs more surface agitation. Likely just organic film.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a normal occurrence. I think it is observed more often in new setups than in older systems. I am pretty sure you can ignore this

OP
OP
J

Jaychevy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a normal occurrence. I think it is observed more often in new setups than in older systems. I am pretty sure you can ignore this
The system has been running for 8 months but I just bought it off FB market last Saturday so maybe I just need to let it run its coarse.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system has been running for 8 months but I just bought it off FB market last Saturday so maybe I just need to let it run its coarse.
Was the system taken apart and put back together for the sale? If yes, the system might act like its new.

OP
OP
J

Jaychevy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the system taken apart and put back together for the sale? If yes, the system might act like its new.
Yes I took everything apart and set it up here. I'm testing every couple days levels are spot on still.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I took everything apart and set it up here. I'm testing every couple days levels are spot on still.
Sometimes the uglies come back with a restart like this but I would not expect issues with ammonia. Smart move testing all the same.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the water is below the intake grates, how is the tank pump getting water?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatop 24G

I'll be honest I'm a bit confused, how can water not enter the top intake grill and yet still feed the pump. And if it isn't, why not just raise the water level so that it skims the surface? My apologies if Im confused

OP
OP
J

Jaychevy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest I'm a bit confused, how can water not enter the top intake grill and yet still feed the pump. And if it isn't, why not just raise the water level so that it skims the surface? My apologies if Im confused
There is a top and bottom the water is entering the grate. I mentioned in the post the water is below the top portion of the grate. Meaning the surface water is entering the grate.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a top and bottom the water is entering the grate. I mentioned in the post the water is below the top portion of the grate. Meaning the surface water is entering the grate.
I’m more of a visual learner. ;)

eclouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m more of a visual learner. ;)
I have the same proublem .. with an Aquion tank ...think of it this way.. the bottom holes in my 90 rr tank are pushing water up faster than my surface holes take it in even though that my surface skim holes ate 1/3 covered... this makes sense to me. now the question is the solution? If i lower the overflow pipe how will this fix the proublem ..btw I know it will make more noise. If you convince me that it will fix the problem. I will consider it, but noise is a huge issue for me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back