OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both. not a frag tank feel. nothing in gravel. no algae anywhere. Its what people picture and what lures them into the hobby.

well, the lack of the frag tank feel was done on purpose. all of my previous tanks over the years had that feel....and i was always embarrased to take any kind of a full tank shot.

but the frag tank part is so much fun and addicting... ;)

but in all honesty, i was just tired of all the different stuff i had, so when i created this tank I thinned out at least 50%+ of my corals and kept ONLY the best stuff i had. instead of having lots of small frags, i wanted to keep my best stuff and let it grow into colonies.

its a very good thing i did this too, b/c even though i upgraded gallons.......i lost surface area by going with the cube....as i don't have near as much room.

as far as the algae....i'm very picky about this. last spring i had tons of hair algae, bubble algae, and dictoya. the dictoya was the worse.....

when i moved, i scrubbed ALL of the rock relentlessly. but after about a month it started growing back in force.

this pic was taken in august i think...and is just totally depressing as grows over zoas and other corals to the point it chokes them out.

IMG_1935.jpg

since then....i've been on an all out war to get rid of this stuff. here are some of the things i credit to most of its erradication (knock on wood).

i also had a good deal of bubble algae due to some "bad rock" leaching something that is feeding the bubble algae. i employed several emerald crabs since and they've actually done a good job getting rid of most of it over time.

-limit frozen food feedings to twice a week. flake food every other day and sometimes dried seaweed if i have time.

-***diverse*** clean up crew, consisting of different types of snails, small hermits, and emerald crabs. esspecially important to get snails that burrow through the sand (jumbo nasarius, cerith, fighting conchs etc.)

-1 bristle tooth tang that is quite small, but does a good job of grazing on the rock. he wouldn't touch the dictoya at all until i started to limit feedings....but now he will take very small nips out of it...but its not really enough to do much damage.....although over several months it may have.

-i also boosted magnesium to around ~1500ppm, and have kept it there over several months. you won't see any kinds of changes in algae unless you keep these numbers up consistently, and also do what i listed above.

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. My wife sea horse/reef is battling algae bad now. The tank Is a 37 tall so cant do tanks. could you suggest a good algae that I could use in this tank? Also I just hooked up a skimmer to this tank, do you think this will help with my algae issues? Also do you use Phyto or rotifers?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. My wife sea horse/reef is battling algae bad now. The tank Is a 37 tall so cant do tanks. could you suggest a good algae that I could use in this tank? Also I just hooked up a skimmer to this tank, do you think this will help with my algae issues? Also do you use Phyto or rotifers?

just get a good variety of snails and small hermits in there to take care of the algae.

-astrea snails
-nerite snails
-trochus snails
-2 or 3 turbo snails
-jumbo nasarius snails
-cerith snails
-queen conch
-fighting conch

-SMALL blue leg hermits
-SMALL red scarlet hermits
-maybe some small zebra hermits...
but take them out if they get large enough to take any of the large snail shells
-couple of emerald crabs.

if its a macro algae, thats a little harder, as you'll have to pick it out with your hands as much as you can.

also, add a little bit of carbon in a bag or in a reactor.

i don't use any phyto or rotifers.......too complicated. ;)

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice top downs Al!..... I really like the one with the undata and rics. Its a cool color contrast. Also your tank looks really clean.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking better each time I see your tank... one of my favorite tanks here at CZ... :)

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking better each time I see your tank... one of my favorite tanks here at CZ... :)

i LOVE the peace favia i got from you.....very cool looking coral.

i still need to take a pic of it and the aussie.....i think the aussie may have lost some color b/c i have it in too much shade. not really sure how much light to give it.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, the colors in the pic are all funky...its a very bright/glowing turquoise color with lavender purple tips.

no clue why i can't get it to turn purple, it was green when i got it.....but the colony i got it from is a DARK purple now. but the purple isn't as bright as it is on a tri-color valida.

i have a feeling 14k-20k bulbs will turn it green. 10k bulbs will turn it purple.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i LOVE the peace favia i got from you.....very cool looking coral.

i still need to take a pic of it and the aussie.....i think the aussie may have lost some color b/c i have it in too much shade. not really sure how much light to give it.

looking forward to seeing pics... the best place for that Aussie is just under a shade of a cave or something close that environment... you will see the green/yellow ring more that way... good luck with it bro... :)

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking forward to seeing pics... the best place for that Aussie is just under a shade of a cave or something close that environment... you will see the green/yellow ring more that way... good luck with it bro... :)

here we go marv....i just moved both of them to get a picture....so normally they are puffed up more than in the pics.

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks......i absolutely love the peace favia! and it seems to be growing VERY fast for me too!

how does the color on the rainbow aussie look compared to yours? it looks like it kinda lost its candycane like stripes on the outside...and turned more blue. and then turned more red in the middle.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 49 49.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back