OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Al! Everything looks great! i really like your new aquascaping. Cool frag rack behind the rock work.

its functional i guess. some of the sps i put back there completely browned out. and the zoas don't seem to like it b/c its too far up. so its not perfect, but it gets the job done.

Nice tank man! You got a new FTS?

coming up in a sec...

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11-1-07

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. :marv :marv
That ricordia colony GLOWS. That clam is nice too!
What kinda lights you runnin again?

no clue how many ric polyps i have now. but it was started with 1 polyp about 3 years ago. the LFS sold the polyp at $26/each, so thats all i could afford on a grad student budget at the time...lol

clam is an ORA ultra maxima, i've had that about 3 years also i think. it was about 1.5 inches when i got it...and now its around 4-5inches.

i only have 1 light over the tank at the moment. its a 250w SE radium 20k, driven on a PFO HQI ballast and PFO parallel reflector.

which reminds me....i need to change the bulb like very soon...its got 6months on it which was way too long.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new additions

here are the new additions.

this was an interesting little piece, it was a stag colony at the LFS that was bleached out, but had blue polyps. it will be interesting to see what this colors up into.

IMG_2131.jpg

Samoensis colony

IMG_2123.jpg

Maricultured Loripes

IMG_2124.jpg

Maricultured Loripes

IMG_2125.jpg

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank!! i wish i went with acrylic when i built my tank...my next one will tho.

have you figure out your sump problem? i was reading the first couple pages...just following the build up and skimmed through the rest. i dont think you mentioned your sump after that...

but anyways, just an idea, you could try lowering the wall between the skimmer chamber and fuge. that would allow you to run a larger return pump for more flow. also, for your water fall sound on the fuge to return chamber, you could elongate the slots lowering the height the water needs to fall. or slide in a piece of plexi and sandwich some foam to dampen the fall.

just some idea i have...hope you have everything under control, if not, hope my suggestions helped

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank!! i wish i went with acrylic when i built my tank...my next one will tho.

have you figure out your sump problem? i was reading the first couple pages...just following the build up and skimmed through the rest. i dont think you mentioned your sump after that...

but anyways, just an idea, you could try lowering the wall between the skimmer chamber and fuge. that would allow you to run a larger return pump for more flow. also, for your water fall sound on the fuge to return chamber, you could elongate the slots lowering the height the water needs to fall. or slide in a piece of plexi and sandwich some foam to dampen the fall.

just some idea i have...hope you have everything under control, if not, hope my suggestions helped

well, i know the problem, i just can't do anything about it until i have a redesigned sump made.

the problem is that the baffles going from the sump area to the fuge are too narrow (i.e. not wide enough) to allow a stronger flow through them without significantly raising the water level.

they had to be narrower in order to allow enough room to put the skimmer in the sump.

but since i have an external skimmer, i'm just gonna take that out completely so i can free up some room to make wider baffles. that should also cut down on the amount of junk building up around the skimmer in dead flow areas.

the goal is to run a Mag5 cut down about 1/3 which is redirected to the fuge. at the moment i'm on a Mag3 cut down about 1/2 which is redirected to the fuge.

Wow that setosa is looking sweet! Can i get an up close shot? :)

still gots LOTS of growing to do.

IMG_1786.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grrr i need a piece...:)

i have a feeling it will be a "must have" sometime this winter.

i remember last summer (2006), how the sunset monti was out there, but it wasn't really a "oh my gosh i must have!". thus i was able to get a huge frag for a decent price.

then last winter, all of a sudden EVERYONE wants a piece of the sunset monti, prices get higher and the frags get smaller.....lol but there are allot more available and they are easier to find.

i think the same will happen with the setosa this winter.....its too original looking to not get all the rare hype. granted, most people probably haven't seen what a colony looks like either....but its gota be the most unique growth structure i've ever seen....which IMO makes it pretty darn rare.

so i imagine it will be easier to get ahold of by sometime over the winter and in the spring.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the wild samoensis kicked it about a week and a half ago......oh well, thats the last wild coral i buy. i cut off some good parts of it, and they lasted until a couple of days ago. so i just tossed it all out on the deck.

IMG_2154.jpg

gota love LiveAquaria's customer service, they ended up giving me full credit for the coral, and the shipping. the package arrived 8min after the time fedex guarunteed it to be here by....lol. and it died about a week and a half after i had gotten it. now THATS service!
:hammer:

btw......a little hint is to always tell them them that the coral looked a little beat up when you took it out of the bag. but nothing more than a couple of small broken tips and the coral slimed up a bit.

they keep that on file, and if the coral dies later they will give you full credit since you claimed it was "rouged up" during the shipment. (which it was....but no more that what i would have expected when shipping a big sps coral).

so i picked up this maricultured acropora abrotanoides instead. its pretty cool, it lost some color in the shipment, but i'll just give it some time to color back up. the girth of this stag is INSANE!

its literally about 1.25" THICK!

lg_110707-164a.jpg

Last edited:

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new one has kinda phallic look to it.....LOL. That new coral is really sweet looking like the color combo....

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 169 74.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back