surfn's 50g cube tank

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NIce shots as always and love the aussie too...

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post on reefcentral that had a link to your tank. I'm very familiar with forums and knew I needed to become a member to view more photos after I looked at a certain amount of pages on CZ.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post on reefcentral that had a link to your tank. I'm very familiar with forums and knew I needed to become a member to view more photos after I looked at a certain amount of pages on CZ.

really!!? haha thats interesting....i thought RC had done something to make sure no one could put up a link to club-zoa. interesting....lol

any chance you can find a link to where you saw it? i'm sure all the mods here at CZ would be interested in seeing it....lol (RC got into a big hissy fit with us a while ago b/c we were "stealing" all of their members out of their zoa forum.....actually, people were just tired of the BS going on over on RC...so they wanted to come here...but somehow they figured out how to stop links to CZ)

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look for that link. Do you have any problems with your zoanthids attacking your SPS corals? IF not, will zoo's attack acro's? I also see that your GSP is isolated, is this because it grows too fast or because it will sting other corals?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look for that link. Do you have any problems with your zoanthids attacking your SPS corals? IF not, will zoo's attack acro's? I also see that your GSP is isolated, is this because it grows too fast or because it will sting other corals?

nope, the zoas, GSP, and sps are all seperated onto their own rocks that i can remove and trim if needed. i dont have any corals attached to the main big rocks, at least not permenently attached.

the zoa rocks touch other rocks....but its not a big deal.....it will take them a LONG time to grow off their rocks.

the GSP rock is completely isolated in the sand. but i've noticed it will start growing on top of the sand lately.....so i just took it out and cut off the parts that started to grow off the rock...lol

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i know the problem, i just can't do anything about it until i have a redesigned sump made.

the problem is that the baffles going from the sump area to the fuge are too narrow (i.e. not wide enough) to allow a stronger flow through them without significantly raising the water level.

they had to be narrower in order to allow enough room to put the skimmer in the sump.

but since i have an external skimmer, i'm just gonna take that out completely so i can free up some room to make wider baffles. that should also cut down on the amount of junk building up around the skimmer in dead flow areas.

the goal is to run a Mag5 cut down about 1/3 which is redirected to the fuge. at the moment i'm on a Mag3 cut down about 1/2 which is redirected to the fuge.

still gots LOTS of growing to do.

IMG_1786.jpg

WOW! Where did you get the Montipora Setosa from? I've only seen it available on Atlantis Aquarium.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Where did you get the Montipora Setosa from? I've only seen it available on Atlantis Aquarium.

got it from a reefer here on CZ......who got it from reefready.net

there are a couple places you can get it from:

-atlantis (although prob the most expensive)
-fragfarmer
-upscales
-also can look for one on frags.org

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it from a reefer here on CZ......who got it from reefready.net

there are a couple places you can get it from:

-atlantis (although prob the most expensive)
-fragfarmer
-upscales
-also can look for one on frags.org

and me lol have two frags going up next week:D mine orginated from upscales.

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al, I got a few questions for you. Your tank looks awesome by the way, but seeing that we have the same size tank I am curious what type of nanostreams are you using? And how is that purple tang doing in there? That is like one of my favorite fish and I would love to add him to my tank!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al, I got a few questions for you. Your tank looks awesome by the way, but seeing that we have the same size tank I am curious what type of nanostreams are you using? And how is that purple tang doing in there? That is like one of my favorite fish and I would love to add him to my tank!

the nanostreems are the 6025's. the tank is 24"x24"x20" (l x w x h). it really depends on the rock placement and corals if the nanostreams create sand storms. with only 24" of width.....the water deflects straight down to the sand. i can't imagine going w/ 6045's unless going barebottom.

the purple tang is fine. i've had it 6 months. he came in pretty small, and is still pretty small. my clown fish and bangaii are about as large as he is.

purple tangs are ridiculously expensive right now though.....something like $90-$120 for a small.

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree about the price of the purple tangs. But I have 4 6025's in my cube right now, two of them have had the shroud mod done to them and to me it seems like there still is not enough flow. My tank right now is really mixed a lot of SPS (25 different pieces) but then I have like 10 lords, 10 micros, and 15 echinos and like 5 zoas/palys.

Do you think I could really get away with pulling out two of the nanostreams? What is your return pump?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree about the price of the purple tangs. But I have 4 6025's in my cube right now, two of them have had the shroud mod done to them and to me it seems like there still is not enough flow. My tank right now is really mixed a lot of SPS (25 different pieces) but then I have like 10 lords, 10 micros, and 15 echinos and like 5 zoas/palys.

Do you think I could really get away with pulling out two of the nanostreams? What is your return pump?

return pump is only a mag 3....dialed back a bit.

my nanostreams put out so much (no mods) that its beating up some of the sps....to the point where they don't get good polyp extension in certain areas near the top. you don't really need to blast them like some people do IMO.

granted, there probably isn't enough flow around the bottom of the tank.....but since i don't keep sps down there i don't really care.

i also have 2 MJ1200's in there, that rotate on and off to add a little more flow to the sides.

i can't imagine putting anymore flow in the tank other than maybe another MJ to get the circulation going in the back.

but like i said, i have sand....so anymore flow and the sand gets stirred up. IMO if the sand won't stand still thats PLENTY of flow.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purple tangs are ridiculously expensive right now though.....something like $90-$120 for a small.

That is because the Red Sea is being disputed over, if my information is correct. My boss said awhile back, when i worked at the LFS in Florida, that they arent allowing as much to be caught or collected anymore.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back