surfn's 50g cube tank

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is because the Red Sea is being disputed over, if my information is correct. My boss said awhile back, when i worked at the LFS in Florida, that they arent allowing as much to be caught or collected anymore.
I've heard the same thing from a few people.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new full tank shot

IMG_2374.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leishman's red table

IMG_2376.jpg

ORA deepwater that isn't looking too good

IMG_2396.jpg

monti's took a huge hit due to a recent frag swap.....they are going to need to do some healing and growing for a while.

IMG_2417.jpg

this was a cool shot of a blue polyp stag i got.

IMG_2414.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang AL that is super sweet! It's filling in nicely! Are you running a calcium reactor?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang AL that is super sweet! It's filling in nicely! Are you running a calcium reactor?

nope, that would be overkill for a ~60g mixed reef tank IMO. just doing the 2-part on a LiterMeter3. i have to change the 2-part solution every 3 months....although i've been having to increase the dosage slightly every couple of weeks to keep levels up. so it will probably be more like every 2 months soon, which is the same as i was doing last year at this time.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my chalices.....from left to right

aspera (recently cut in half to fit on the rock.....so needs some time to heal and color back up)

tiny tyree watermelon

crazy colored local chalice

original mummy eye

then the peace favia on the right. :)

IMG_2418.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I need some mummy eye and peace favia!

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!!! I've said this before, but i really like your aquascaping.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to keep changing stuff around slightly every month, as rocks shift around and stuff. but 2 weeks ago i finally got a bunch of that aquamend stuff.......so nothing should shift around anymore and things should pretty much stay the same for the most part.

getting the formations to stack like that was pretty difficult....the aquamend stuff made that much easier.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank Al......I need to get some chalices and other sps now I made some room in my tank.....I keep seeing this stuff and you guys are sending me subliminal messages. I know it, I just know it.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my chalices.....from left to right

aspera (recently cut in half to fit on the rock.....so needs some time to heal and color back up)

tiny tyree watermelon

crazy colored local chalice

original mummy eye

then the peace favia on the right. :)

IMG_2418.jpg

sweet line up.. one looked familiar.. ;)

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA deepwater that isn't looking too good

IMG_2396.jpg

Hey Surfn,

The Ora Deepwater should be in alot lower light. I have mine at the bottom of a 24" tank with my lights 6 inches above that. So 30" below 250MH and not in a direct path of the light... almost shadowed. If you ask ORA they will tell you to keep it low in your tank and not in a direct path of the light. Hope it's not too late.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its pretty low right now.....probably the lowest sps in the tank aside from a monti right below it.

only problem is that the lower in the tank i get away from the light, the less flow there is. but suspect the damage was from when i tried to seperate it from the stupid plug.

i've seen 3 other people who have it in pretty moderate to high light. one of those people have also had it turn brown on them.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn, what is your current fish list?

small ORA blue neon goby
mandarin
bangaii cardinal
six-line wrasse
ORA black clown fish
small purple tang
medium scopas tang

will probably end up replacing the scopas tang if i can catch him.

other fish i'd like to add (but probably not all obviously)

-yasha haze goby w/ shrimp
-leopard wrasse (if i can find one small enough and cheap enough)
-chevron tang looks like a nice small replacement for the scopas if i can find one.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two tangs in a 24"x24" 50g? Isn't that a little harsh? The Chevron and Purple Tang both grow well over 5".

my purple tang is only 1.5" from head to tail.....i have 2 other fish in the tank much larger than he is (clown fish, bangaii cardinal). and he's been in my tank since last april. he seems plenty happy.

the scopas is around 2" from head to tail. ended up being a little bigger than i liked....as i guess when he was in the store he didn't have all his fins expanded as he was pretty scared......but he's still pretty small as far as tangs go. if he was over 3" i'd feel he was too big for my tank. hence the reason i will remove him when i get the chance.

i'd like to get a chevron about the same size as the purple tang. i think that would be a good fit. i've seen a couple around 1.5-2", but they werent for sale.

i've been keeping fish/reefs long enough successfully that i dont have any problem with this. as long as its the *right* kind of species of tang at the right size. and the person knows how to care for it by giving it all the right foods and enough flow to swim.

i've seen people do far worse IMO by putting enormous angels that span close to 1 foot in length in their tanks. those have no business being in ANY home aquarium IMO.

for instance, i could have gotten a 2" powder blue the same time i got my scopas, but i decided not to b/c those fish are notorious for needing LOTS of swimming room (even the smaller ones). plus they are very teritorial. that wouldn't have been a good fit in a community tank my size.

the smaller bristle nose tangs, IME don't need as much swimming room. esspecially if they are small. they just kind of hover around the bottom grazing on the rocks which is want i want them to do.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be quite honest, i would have more reservations about putting in a large wrasse into my tank than a small tang.

i still have very strong mixed feelings about putting in a leopard wrasse into my tank. all the ones i've seen for sale are about 3" long......IMO they need much more swimming room than most smaller bristletooth tangs. but most people dont have a clue so they do it anyways....lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back