surfn's 50g cube tank

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think tangs can do ok in smaller tanks, imo. i think that there growth slows down a ton or is stunned when they move into smaller tanks. for example, i had a regal tang for 6 months that was 1", didn't grow at all. i sold him to a local reefer with a 120 gallon and within 2 months hes quadrupled in size, now 4". but i think u should be fine surfn, the tangs you are keeping are relatively small. i just got my finnex 30 gallon and need to come up with a stock list. i wanna add a yasha haze with a pistol shrimp but the only problem is i really want a mystery wrasse. they are known to eat shrimp, so i don't think it will work out. but a shrimp goby with out the shrimp isnt that interesting.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think all fish will get vastly bigger when you transfer them to a much bigger tank. but just b/c their size may be stunted does not really mean they will live a shorter life. i think they will live a shoter life no matter what in captivity, esspecially in any tank under 500g.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
updated FTS yo!

looking forward to seeing updated FTS of one of my favorite tanks... :)

so fresh and so clean, clean...... :D :D :D

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
updated FTS yo!

looking forward to seeing updated FTS of one of my favorite tanks... :)

so fresh and so clean, clean...... :D :D :D

eh, not much worthy to update, haven't gotten anything new. and i lost 2 sps colonies.... :( which also happened to be my 2 biggest and oldest.... :(

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eh, not much worthy to update, haven't gotten anything new. and i lost 2 sps colonies.... :( which also happened to be my 2 biggest and oldest.... :(

That sucks! Which ones did u lose? I have a frag of the pink milli if u need a replacement.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which colonies?

That sucks! Which ones did u lose? I have a frag of the pink milli if u need a replacement.

yeah, lost the colony of pink milli with blue tips. although i was lucky enough to save many many frags. it just sucks that it had to be all cut up to stop the STN.

i lost the sarmentosa completely, all the frags are goners.

with the last frag i kept in the tank that was still STN'ing, i put it in a dip of TMPCC for 30min to see if anything came off.......and i think that dip pretty much killed it. but nothing came off either.....so i'm certain i don't have any pests.

one thing i neglected to mention in my other thread about the STN events, is that a week before our frag swap.....when i first noticed my sarmentosa bleaching, i added like 2 dozen frag plugs to my system. i am starting to wonder if the pH dropped like a rock which caused these problems to start. i have yet to test my pH once.....but hope to get some kalk going to counter this if it is indeed an issue.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I said . . . and Al goes, "Oh no, my pink milli is much cooler than yours." :lol:

mine came from an RC TOTM
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that stinks Al.. I'm sure you'll be able to find some frags and re-grow them... :)

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that stinks Al.. I'm sure you'll be able to find some frags and re-grow them... :)

i've still got the pink milli, i'll just have to regrow it. having got it as a 1inch frag 3 years ago and letting it grow into a softball sized colony really hits you in the gut after having to break it up.

as for the sarmentosa.....eh. it never really looked that great as a colony anyways. but frags of it looked nice, and its not something allot of people have.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two dozen is a lot of plugs for your system. i stopped using the baf plugs years ago for fear of messing with my system; when i make frags i tend to make dozens

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two dozen is a lot of plugs for your system. i stopped using the baf plugs years ago for fear of messing with my system.

well, i've had that many plugs in there before. but i guess i hadn't added them all at once.

plus, these plugs were the "new kind" that i hadn't used before.

and i should have prob been concerned b/c there was still moisture in the bag that the plugs came in. so i'm thinking possibly they weren't fully cured as long as they say they are.

i store all the left over plugs/discs in a bucket of RO/DI water that I change every week or two. hopefully that will help with the curing.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, been a while since i did an update. been kinda embarrased to take any pics as i lost a couple of things, including my 2 largest colonies. although it does seem that i got a decent bit of growth, and some corals now look a bit happier now that i'm feeding the tank. although, some corals lost a bit of color when i dipped them in TMPCC and are still coloring back up.

12-17-08
IMG_2374.jpg

3-8-08
IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and now some new additions...stay tuned, b/c i've got a bunch of new additions coming this week!!:D:D

can't remember the name if this, but its purple w/ blue polyps. the name starts with a "V" i think.

IMG_0814.jpg

Cquarium unknown, needs some coloring up

IMG_0815.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back