OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I like the idea of growing cheato unfortunately I don't have the room:(. As far as export goes I've been using a hybrid zeovit method which I discontinued when I started dosing Waste Away. This hybrid method is dosing Zeo-bak, Zeo-start and Spongepower. I also don't think that this is to contribute to my drop in N and P because I'v been dosing this stuff since day one, I'm doing this to prove a point to someone, and it's been about a week since I tested N and P and both those values where N of 64 and P of 0.06. That is a dramatic drop in both values, and I still had dinos. So either I tested both wrong last week or Waste Away really lowers N and P that fast. As of now I'm going to adjust my skimmer to skim dry and test in a few days and see what that does. Also I have a good amount of hair algae so this may be a factor as well.

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I like the idea of growing cheato unfortunately I don't have the room:(. As far as export goes I've been using a hybrid zeovit method which I discontinued when I started dosing Waste Away. This hybrid method is dosing Zeo-bak, Zeo-start and Spongepower. I also don't think that this is to contribute to my drop in N and P because I'v been dosing this stuff since day one, I'm doing this to prove a point to someone, and it's been about a week since I tested N and P and both those values where N of 64 and P of 0.06. That is a dramatic drop in both values, and I still had dinos. So either I tested both wrong last week or Waste Away really lowers N and P that fast. As of now I'm going to adjust my skimmer to skim dry and test in a few days and see what that does. Also I have a good amount of hair algae so this may be a factor as well.
Maybe try a cheato reactor then. That’s the only other thing I could think of. I’m pretty sure purigen won’t do a thing.

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh here is a couple pics of the dinos that I got today

dinos 1.jpg
dino2.jpg

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yummy! You’ll probably have to up the dosage or end up using Dino x. The bubbly stringy ones are a pain. Worse then what I had and I battled for 8 months
I'm not too sure what kind they are, need to dig up the microscope in storage and take pics

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks in to dosing Waste Away and it has made a size-able dent in the dinos. still need to test N and P. I've been feeding more in order to keep N and P detectable. One thing for sure is that the dinos has killed off a few snails in the tank. However, I have also seen a decline of hair algae in the tank too. This tells me that my N and P are still low.

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dinos where identified as Ostreopsis. I added an Aqua UV to the tank and that along with the Waste Away has put a major dent in the dinos. I have also added two Banggai Cardinalfish to justify feeding more. My NO3 as of today is 32ppm ( probably due to the death of almost all my snails) but my PO4 has fallen to 0. I'm not too sure how to bring it up I'm already feeding a whole cube of food a day so I'm not sure if I should dose PO4. My corals are getting light in color and alk is staying at 7.8 the past few days and I'm thinking of bringing it down to 7.0 because of burnt tips on some of my acros.

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now I'm Dino free. My testing shows NO3 is 0.5 and my PO4 is at 0. I've restarted my zeovit scheduled dosage and have lowered my Alk from 8.0 to 7.0. I think my PO4 is higher than 0 because i'm still growing algae and a green film on the glass everyday also have green hair algae on the rocks. I've also added a few more fish in order to justify feeding more. I'm now feeding two cubes of food a day. I did lose a few frags during the dino outbreak and have some burnt tips probably due to Alk being so high and NO3 /PO4 being so low.

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since I posted and I'm here to report that mostly my tank has been down. after dinos i had nothing but hair algae. I have cleared that up by adding few urchins. I've lost almost all of my coral LPS and SPS. I haven't added any coral in months, but i'm thinking that it may be safe now because of coralline algae growth. I'm thinking a few monti frags just to test out the water to see how safe it is. Testing shows that the tank is stable for the past month
Alk 7.0
Cal 450
Mag 1400
NO3 10
PO4 0.04
As far as water goes it's fine for corals. i think my down fall was really having too much light. My clam has been a trooper through all of this. Feel free to let me know what you think.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since I posted and I'm here to report that mostly my tank has been down. after dinos i had nothing but hair algae. I have cleared that up by adding few urchins. I've lost almost all of my coral LPS and SPS. I haven't added any coral in months, but i'm thinking that it may be safe now because of coralline algae growth. I'm thinking a few monti frags just to test out the water to see how safe it is. Testing shows that the tank is stable for the past month
Alk 7.0
Cal 450
Mag 1400
NO3 10
PO4 0.04
As far as water goes it's fine for corals. i think my down fall was really having too much light. My clam has been a trooper through all of this. Feel free to let me know what you think.
You could always cut your photo period down. Didn’t you have a scrubber on the tank?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back