OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I found out what was causing the low pH in my tank. It would appear that it was well past time to change my pH probe. Once I did that my pH has been between 8.2 and 8.4. I also keep a window open in the room to help keep pH up and I have a CO2 scrubber on the intake of the skimmer.

I'm due to do a water change later today and will test the water tomorrow to see where all my levels are. I've learned to keep a double check on the trident. I've gotten some strange reading from it. like Alk jumping from 7.2 to 9.5 and calcium going from 450 to 585 range, but Mag has been consistent and on par with my manual testing. Because of this I have taken trident control of the Calcium reactor off line and have it running all the time and tune it to deliver the right amount of Alk and Calcium. Since doing this my Alk has stabilized at 7.5 on my Hanna checker and on my trident it stays in the 9 range.

I have turned down the lighting on my Radion from 2 hours of 100% to 3 hours of 75% in hopes that this will stop the coral death that I've been having. I got a few tester corals to see how they do with the new lighting situation. I also intend to increase the 75% by an hour weekly until i get to 6 hours a day with an hour ramp up and ramp down period.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I found out what was causing the low pH in my tank. It would appear that it was well past time to change my pH probe. Once I did that my pH has been between 8.2 and 8.4. I also keep a window open in the room to help keep pH up and I have a CO2 scrubber on the intake of the skimmer.

I'm due to do a water change later today and will test the water tomorrow to see where all my levels are. I've learned to keep a double check on the trident. I've gotten some strange reading from it. like Alk jumping from 7.2 to 9.5 and calcium going from 450 to 585 range, but Mag has been consistent and on par with my manual testing. Because of this I have taken trident control of the Calcium reactor off line and have it running all the time and tune it to deliver the right amount of Alk and Calcium. Since doing this my Alk has stabilized at 7.5 on my Hanna checker and on my trident it stays in the 9 range.

I have turned down the lighting on my Radion from 2 hours of 100% to 3 hours of 75% in hopes that this will stop the coral death that I've been having. I got a few tester corals to see how they do with the new lighting situation. I also intend to increase the 75% by an hour weekly until i get to 6 hours a day with an hour ramp up and ramp down period.
Did you re prime the lines and calibrate when you swapped reagents?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of taking the thing off line and getting rid of it. i got it to monitor the big three but the only one I can rely on is Mag.
Mine has been off since December. I’m home a lot and can monitor the tank myself. And I don’t feel like hunting for reagents again.

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been off since December. I’m home a lot and can monitor the tank myself. And I don’t feel like hunting for reagents again.
I'm home a lot too running an online aquarium store so doing daily alk testing is no big deal for me either. And I feel you on hunting reagents. I got 3 months left so probably after that I'll take it offline.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm home a lot too running an online aquarium store so doing daily alk testing is no big deal for me either. And I feel you on hunting reagents. I got 3 months left so probably after that I'll take it offline.
I’ve thought about selling mine for what I paid plus shipping. It’s a cool gadget if I go on vacation etc but it’s just meh for when I’m home 99% of the time.

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought some Zoas for the tank
AOI
DSC00875 (2).JPG

Buttkisser
DSC00874 (2).JPG

Tasers
DSC00898 (2).JPG

Bubble Buster
DSC00897 (2).JPG

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my Chalices have all slowly died and I'm not sure why. I'm getting an ICP test done to see if there is a chemistry problem in the tank. The tank grows coraline very well , but stony corals are my issue. My Clam is doing well and growing very well. Zoas are growing very well a little slow but that is probably due to my nitrate and phosphate levels. My fish are doing well and eating at least 3 times a day. I also started feeding nori for my flame angel and lawn mower blenny. They both got rather thin, and I like fish to be nice and rotund.

WATER:
Alk -7.1
Calcium - 505
Magnesium - 1450
Nitrate - 4.0
Phosphate - 0.03

I know the calcium is a bit high, but I've always had a high calcium level. That seems to be where my calcium levels like to be.

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some water testing today and came up with
Alk 7.7dKH
Ca 424ppm
Mg 1360ppm
PO4 0.01ppm
NO3 4ppm

I've also submitted an ICP test to see if anything is going wacky in my tank. I'm still having trubble with stony corals. Right now I have two ORA corals: purple A. nana and a pink Stylo. the Stylo seems to be doing alright but the Acro seems to be receding at the base. I've also lowered my Calcium level by turning off the Calcium reactor and just manually dose Alk. I'm still getting slow growth out of my zoanthids, but my clam has never been better. it has a white spot on its mantle due to the lawnmower blenny perching on it, but other than that the clam is growing just fine.

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the results of my ICP test and don't see anything off. I also have hair algae issues so I know my NO3 and PO4 are not as low as the tests show.
Screenshot_20200916-133850.png
Screenshot_20200916-133903.png

I'm still experiencing coral death and my zoanthids are starting to wither away.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.1%
Back