Surprise in a 15 years old aquarium

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope nope nope. Everything has it role but if I see one of these guys in my tank, im giving it up and switch to a tank of jelly fish. No rocks or sand there.
I have no clue how it hid but i know how it ate. At that size food was probably simple. Im sure at night it just crawled to the fridge and made a sandwich.

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why these things creep me out so bad. I'm normally not squeemish about this sort of thing, either. For example: Once in the Army I was woken up after a long night march to a training battle that got delayed just as we had arrived. My buddy was nudging me awake with a look of urgency on his face because he noticed there was a decent sized tarantula on my chest. What did I do? Nothing. In my mind he was just a lil guy looking to stay warm. I went back to sleep without even trying to find him a new spot. (I was bundled up, so he wasn't getting in my clothes)

Now, with that story in mind I can't understand why I am down right horrified by these bristle worms. TO THIS DAY I remember seeing one on the beach when I was very young and being freaked out by it. Moms boyfriend tried to go digging after it and I was like "NOPE" and just walked off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm the same way about centipedes and scorpions. I used to work in a petshop and had to put water in a scorpions bowl... I got 12 inches away and I just froze and could NOT force myself to get any closer. It was wild.

This guy creeps me out the same way centipedes do. It's something in my genes saying, "F that thing and all things like it!" I'm with you.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one large worm. Can they scavenge? That's my only guess why live stock was not wipped out

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh-My.gif

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, though - Where does something like that hide, for all those years, in a tank that size? Did he have a very deep sand bed or a very large amount of rock work? Even if both were true, it's hard to understand how something 3 feet in length would remain unseen. Especially if it's not even trying to hide.

Not much sand but a lot of rocks.

Sincerely Lasse

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wait, am I the only one that makes my own zooplankton?

The conversation that occurred after he got home.
“Hey, you were out for awhile, catch anything for dinner?”
“No, but i caught a 10 foot worm with a $12 rat trap. Want to watch the video?”

Rest of the conversation was redacted after that.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool worm

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back