OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another water change and sand removal. I have 2 areas that still need a lot of sand removed. It is getting there. I'll have to see how many N snails are left. I didn't see any in the sand I spread out on a towel on driveway but it looks like maybe some guts? I put a net with big holes on end of hose to keep them from getting sucked in but maybe just sucked them out of the shells. I know how many I have so will count tomorrow.

I have my rocks redone. The very bottom foundation rocks were not removed. Rest removed, scrubbed and blown. Of course I'm still blowing and will until all that fine sand is gone. Or as much as I can get. Tank is now very open, and open along back for circulation and swimming. And cleaning. I should take the hose tube to see if it can fit behind the rocks for vacuuming sand later. I think I like the set up. I have 3 sections. Left, right and center. Center and to the side of center is for gps (arrowhead rock), palys. Corals I don't want to take over other areas. Pretty zoas might be placed low in tank in other areas.

Might post in forum to get feedback. I left out a lot of rock. Now I can get the rock cleared of critters in the 45--found my emerald crab in there today--and then store the live rock for future uses. Will see if sump needs more.

not sure if I should replace sand in there. Might have a lot of pods down there. So progress. Will let tank sit for a couple days and go at it again. saltwater all made up. Will get a full shot of tank tomorrow. Forgot!

1st pic is tank before I removed and rearranged rock. rock leaning against overflows
So Before:
20200923_144055_resized_1.jpg

Left side now Not sure if it needs to be higher?

20201004_190128_resized.jpg

Pic above shows the 3 big sand areas still. the foot of the "M" is where my goby/shrimp is so won't remove all sand from around it

Right side (facing) and center section. Center
20201004_190136_resized.jpg

20201004_190141_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day of rest for the most part for the fish. I did remove all big rocks from refugium part of sump. Trying to figure out whether I need to remove and replace, or remove and just have live rocks in here. Glad I have the shop vac, although I can use a pitcher to scoop out sand. Will do at least that much tomorrow. It's pretty nasty. Unless I'm told to leave the refuge alone... Removed some of the rock from the 45 to save. Putting it a bucket of salt water first to check for critters. Then outside it will go.

Here is the full shot. Will check structures tomorrow to see if I need more putty. Makes my skimmer go nuts. Had to block the air flow until it settles.

Making coral plans, and planning a fish order as soon as the observation tank is ready.

20201005_192126_resized.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,yes i would remove sand from sump,clean a little bit,add live rock rubble

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,yes i would remove sand from sump,clean a little bit,add live rock rubble :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
site is bad tonight:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, sump is as clean as I'm going to get it. Vacuumed out all sand, got what I could in the return chamber, and did a fast sweep in the main chamber but not all water out of there. We'll see if this helps my numbers. Put back some larger pcs of rock and lots of rubble. Mostly rubble and just over fist sized. Also removed the noodle sheets that are between the refug and return pump chamber. They were icky too.

working on dosers. My new one not working--had it a couple years. The old one not working either.

Going to test to see how things stand. Shop vac worked good, still a pain to empty but a syphon hose doesn't work in the sump.

going to order a small hamster or mouse ball to put chato in so it can roll around in refuge and not get all over.
20201006_131857_resized.jpg
20201006_131909_resized.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow ..good one ;) is that from the one in overflow??

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a wifi doser. jebao or close. I have 2, 1 new never used, but I like the wifi option now. If it works... If not, it goes back. Now to get the myai app working with the hydra red sea lights... Ugh. Have to turn on and off manually.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow ..good one ;) is that from the one in overflow??
No, it is the 2 meanies in the tank! I can't stick my hand too close to that big leather they host. Even trying to add more algae sheets to the clip gets me attacked! One time, I had 5 bites to the back of my hand... Grrrr

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm really laughing ;)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if they are both that aggressive ,don't think they are going to allow #3 into tank:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the 3rd guy will go into the 45 gal which is my observation tank. Clowns have thick slime coats so should be all right I h ope with new fish. Also plan to order another clown, a smaller one which should then give me a pair as I'm pretty sure my big "guy" must be female. Then if I can bravely try 1 or 2 nems in the tank, opposite sides, maybe they can go back to the big tank. Dunno... That 's why I haven't tried my sand trick to get him out yet. Need other tank ready.

I plan to have a couple rocks that each have a leather not doing so good in that tank. To catch new fish, I might have to devise a divider out of egg crate, or will hvae to remove rocks, corals and all. If I have to treat that tank, then those rocks will never go back to a regular dt

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
removed another bucketful of sand yesterday. Used the algae scrapper to move as much to the front of what was left to make it easier to get it next pass. I think 1 more water change/sand removal will be good enough.

Today, my new doser came. Wifi. All set up. Just need to add the liquids to the storage containers and put in cabinet. will prob. wait until new lights are in so we can finish putting all electrical back together. Need brick or something for a shelf.

This weekend, lights should be in! Washing new sand. Be another week or so before I add. Trying to get no3 and po4 down first. But we want to try to get the clown fish out this sunday. Need to get the 45 gal ready

20201008_165739_001.jpg
20201008_165755.jpg

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on the wifi doser please. As of yet I haven't heard much about the Jebao one.
I've decided to build my own, but am using wifi outlet plugs to set time, and pwm modules to adjust rate of flow. Hoping it works.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
moving along a a great pace,love the barely sand base ;)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on the wifi doser please. As of yet I haven't heard much about the Jebao one.
I've decided to build my own, but am using wifi outlet plugs to set time, and pwm modules to adjust rate of flow. Hoping it works.
Set up went good. And it is scheduled, but not in use yet. Not even sure what amt I need to dose. But will update. Wasn't totally intuitive, did take a bit of figuring out the app. I had done manual calibration, but in the app, no way to put those numbers in, so I recalibrated to the numbers from the manual. That was my small irritant.

So far I have good runs with jebao products. Have 2 of their older dosers (figured I'd just go for wifi this time) and have a few of their wavemakers. I think my return pump is also one of theirs, as are the 2 pumps i use in my water change brute cans

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moving along a a great pace,love the barely sand base ;)
Tomorrow, will remove as much as I can and call it. I should be able to get most of it, except 1 pile where my goby lives. What a time consuming process!!! Not putting back in as much as I've taken out!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing done today except scraping glass clean. Not going to let it get ugly again! Tomorrow lights go up. All pieces machined and painted.

Doing the cords in the hotdog mold (3 cords into 1) might be sunday. Prob. will wait to use the lights until, as I'd have to resset time and settings.

Tomorrow's goals; remove last of sand (all that I can get too) and do a big blast of rocks
Start washing the first 40lb bag of sand. Have a 2nd one but not sure I will need more, as I'm going to use a thin 1" layer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back