Susan's 125 gal re-reboot. 3rd Times the Charm

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan to do water change Thursday and add new sand back in. This will allow me to get rid of a couple more small bits of old sand and that should help no3 even more. New sand shouldn't affect my no3 or po4 and it will stay in place while I continue to turkey baste rocks of the fine sand. And this gets the tank ready for corals!!!

Ordered from Aqua SD and Aquarium Depot. Have a 3rd order ready for Your Reef in a couple to 3 weeks. Everything I ordered are small and cheap

Getting:
Lunar Zoas-2 polyps
Intergalactic Purple People eaters Palys-2 polyps
Green Pocillipora
Silver eye & purple Leptastrea
Blue Eyed Leptastrea
Multi Colored Ricordea
Aquacultured superman Montipora digitata

From Aqua
ASD Mint chip blasto
Blue planet Cyphastrea chunk
ultra ricordea
Forrest fire rhodactis
pink pop chalice
Pretty eyes cyphastrea

Have a few fish from LA picked out and I'll stick them in the 45. Might be hard to get out, but we'll see
Clown
Bicolored Blenny
3 azure damsels
3 neon blue damsels
Nice selection. I just did an order with Saltyunderground.com, ordered a couple of fish and a few frags. If you want, I can let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice selection. I just did an order with Saltyunderground.com, ordered a couple of fish and a few frags. If you want, I can let you know how it goes.
Absolutely!! With Covid, can't go to the normal LFS. I have1 order to do with a store 1..5 hrs away. But just not safe here to go to stores

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I are in the risk group, plus I have grandkids, so I don't go out unless we have to go to home depot as I want to be safe for them. I order everything on line: walmart, food, amazon and now fish and corals. How our world is changing...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow!! That's a long time no fish lol's! I had a year and a half of life interference. And a tank crash after my mom died in 2018 (she lived with us, smoked in her room, and the primer to repaint her room crashed my tanks.) welcome back. Let me know when you start a build thread!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too hard to read. I'll redo in thirds tomorrow. This is my plan for corals I have (ha!), and those coming friday and a few not ordered yet

corals 25 gal.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Susan, Your master carpenter did a great job mounting those Viparspectras! Looks very clean.
yeah, when he does something, he does it right! When the cord cover comes, and is painted, it will be complete. Sometimes what he does is way overkill lol's. He once built an aviary that was strong enough to be a room for humans lol's. but he's great.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow!! That's a long time no fish lol's! I had a year and a half of life interference. And a tank crash after my mom died in 2018 (she lived with us, smoked in her room, and the primer to repaint her room crashed my tanks.) welcome back. Let me know when you start a build thread!
Had a tank crash when I was camping once, that got me out of the hobby for a bit, then I got married and started a family. Now the kids are old enough 3 & 7, that I can dedicate some time to a reef tank again.
I'm currently doing a bunch of DIY stuff for the future tank, and trying it out on the grow out/ holding tanks that are running. I'm trying to remember to document what I do, but that doesn't always work out. But once it's done, I'll start a YouTube channel ;)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a tank crash when I was camping once, that got me out of the hobby for a bit, then I got married and started a family. Now the kids are old enough 3 & 7, that I can dedicate some time to a reef tank again.
I'm currently doing a bunch of DIY stuff for the future tank, and trying it out on the grow out/ holding tanks that are running. I'm trying to remember to document what I do, but that doesn't always work out. But once it's done, I'll start a YouTube channel ;)
and a build thread i hope ;)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE END!
Of the sand removal lol's. Did another water change as no3 climbed back to 80 (still better than off the charts) so I also vacuumed out the rest of the sand, except the goby area but even got some more there. New sand is in. Only 40lbs. Have a full bag lol's. Will save it with the left over live rock. Went a nice thin layer. I should be able to keep it clean with either vacuuming or using a turkey baster. It was so nice to dump in sand and have it settle immediately!

So now, I just have to keep rocks blown to get rid of whatever leftover fine sand. Very satisfied. Hopefully, I can not do a water change for a week! Or do some smaller ones now. I changed not quite 32 gal--bout 4" from top of brute can.

20201015_190600.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
THE BEGINNING :) a whole new reef system;Woot;Woot;Woot:cool:

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my coral map done. At least a general plan.
Blue=what I currently have in tank
White=what I still need to order or find
Yellow=Coral on order. Should be here Friday (tomorrow!)

To make it easier for me to print out and read, I split the tank into thirds. I also used hi res images. Pic of full tank is the 3 images pushed together.

Left side of tank. Have a totally free shelf/ledge. Lots of sand space as well.
corals 25 gal.jpg

Middle. Both rock sections are free from other rocks to put zoas and palys and any mushrooms

corals middle.jpg

End
Not sure hammer there or in corner on sand. No idea what the viper acro is. Favia? When I order it, I'll ask.
corals end.jpg
corals 125 gal.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi i see two,not in good place,galaxy,encrusting killing machine,sun coral lower light area ;) :)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I posted this! Might post in coral forum too! So where would you move the galaxy. I used to have a sun, right at the top (easy feeding with my short arms) and it did fine. Maybe above the ruby rose on left side?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 76 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%

Back